• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is a RM KL-60 Any good?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I just got one of these Linears , Is it any good?

Comments/opinions appreciated...:laugh:

T23

Your Palomar is better...
Not bad for SSB - tho.

Attachments

• KL_60-large.jpg
    KL_60-large.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 589
Reactions: jacquelyn S cortes
Not trying to steal your thread but I am considering one as well, a stock CB would be well matched to one of these? Like an out of the box radio with nothing done to it should be of suitable power for longevity of this amplifier?

It's fine man...No you do not need to modify the radio at all , it will take the radios factory 5 watts as input.(At least thats just what I was told , haven't tested)... I traded a "handie talkie " for mine from a local ham....Yes I agree don't overdrive this amp , the ham I got mine from had three more dead ones from that problem...

Havent really gotton a chance to fully test mine out though...

@ Robb I like my Palomer better anyways, especially the automatic SSB switching...
T23

No way will a stock radio work. That radio will dead key three or four watts max. I don't recomend putting more than a 1-2 watt dead key into it, or you will burn it up fast. I am sure others will agree.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Alright, as I said I haven't done any testing with this amp...So I wouldn't know. It just seems like alot of work to pair the radio with this amp for just 50watts extra power if you ask me...

But you know whats weird... The box mine came in and the paper work I think also say "10 Meter Operation" not 11....

@Robb Mine doesn't have the flanges on the sides with mounting holes...

T23

Alright, as I said I haven't done any testing with this amp...So I wouldn't know. It just seems like alot of work to pair the radio with this amp for just 50watts extra power if you ask me...

But you know whats weird... The box mine came in and the paper work I think also say "10 Meter Operation" not 11....

@Robb Mine doesn't have the flanges on the sides with mounting holes...

T23

No Amp sold is for 11 meters. FCC regulations!

As mentioned previously, To use that amp in AM mode would require adjusting your radios output dead key power to 1 1/2 watts - so the amp won't be over-driven. If you don't know how to do that - don't bother - you can really screw it up if you don't know what you are doing. Adding a fan won't help that situation.

But mackmobile is right about adding a fan - simply because most amps need more cooling than the factory provides them when built. It's a smart move.

On SSB, I don't think the radio will over-drive that amp. So, if you stay on SSB and stay off AM with it - you should be OK. But a fan would still be the thing to do if you want to keep it working for a long time. Just get a 4 inch fan out an old computer that runs on 12-14v's and wire it into the power cord attaching it to the heat sink of the amp. A quiet fan is preferred. Same is true for your Palomar amp - two fans would be better for that one.

Thanks Robb would have probably blown my KL-60 eventually if y'all didn't bring that to my attention.

This just looks weird, don't it?--------------->:bdh: :unsure:

I ran a KL-60 with a Uniden 122xl years ago. Barefoot the radio would dead key 1.5 watts and swing 12. With the amp on I got a dead key of 14 watts swinging 45. On SSB it did just over 45 watts. A KL-203 is probably a better choice if you ever see one for sale.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.