1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Is a Soft Key needed?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Crambone, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Crambone

Crambone Well-Known Member

I'm going to use a Kenwood TS830S with a Heathkit SB-200 do I need a soft start? If so what one is available and from where?

73’s KB2LMN

2. Justme

Justme Sr. Member

When i rebuild my Heathkit SB-1000 i put a soft start in it as well.
    Reason? i don't like the thump it sometimes made switching it in and sometimes taking out the group it is connected to 16 amps at 230 volts.
    Automatic fuses are really fast......;)
    And i didn't like the blast of rush in power for the electronics, tube ( new 3 - 500ZG) transformer etc.
    So, just a 1 second delay to charge the electrolites and start up then it switches over.
    I know it can handle it without, but it gives some re assuring things don't get blasted .

NZ8N and tecnicoloco like this.
  3. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

The first place I would normally send you for a soft start module is Harbach Electronics.

Just one problem. His basement flooded and wiped out his business operations. Says he'll be back, but doesn't say when.

Even a half-second delay helps a lot. Remember that the longer the delay, the bigger the limit resistor has to be. It can get only so hot in a half second. But the longer the delay, the bigger it will have to be.

We have used a few from chinabay, but that's a crap shoot. I'll see if I can come up with a reliable alternative.

tecnicoloco, NZ8N and wavrider like this.
  4. Crambone

Anything else I should do to the SB-200 prior to using with TS-830S?

5. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

6. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Cool link. Thanks. But probably not necessary. Seems to me the amplifier keying jack on the TS830 connects to the unused side of the antenna changeover relay. A relay big enough to carry the radio's full RF output will tolerate the SB220's stock relay voltage just fine with no need to buffer it.

Patch cord alone should be all you need for that radio. And most newer-model ham HF transceivers would probably croak if you tried this.

7. Crambone

Thanks for the input guys!