• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It works! First contact...

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I made my first contact today with a gentleman from Honduras. It sounded like he was in the room with me (5/9). I'm still shaking from the excitement :w00t:

Can someone please tell me what this means?:
two green stamps on one IRC is required. SAE requested
I understand the Self Addressed Envelope Part but have no idea what the greens stamps are.

I still don't understand what an IRC and a Green Stamp is. Understand its something you send, but what is it?

I made my first contact today with a gentleman from Honduras. It sounded like he was in the room with me (5/9). I'm still shaking from the excitement :w00t:

Can someone please tell me what this means?:
two green stamps on one IRC is required. SAE requested
I understand the Self Addressed Envelope Part but have no idea what the greens stamps are.

Are you sure it wasn't two green stamps or one IRC is required?

He is basically telling you that if you send him a QSL card, and you want one of his, you will have to put two dollars or one IRC with SAE to get it

International reply coupon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Congrats on the contact

pappy.gif
Congrats Peter Walker. Now, what was his call sign? If you look him up - normally - they provide all the information you need to exchange QSL cards.

Thanks for the info. I'm still shaking from the excitement and its been over an hour. :laugh:

So I can purchase and IRC at the local Post Office and they will know what I need? Seems like that would be easier than sending a SAE and/or money.

pappy.gif
Congrats Peter Walker. Now, what was his call sign? If you look him up - normally - they provide all the information you need to exchange QSL cards.

I found him on QRZ.com His callsign was HR2J - Javier from Honduras. It sounded like he was sitting in the room next to me. It was amazing and he gave me a 5/9 report in return. When I heard that I was so excited because I didn't know if my radio and antenna were even working. That alone gives me more reason to look forward to the tuner coming tomorrow.

pappy.gif
Fantastic Peter Walker. I still have my first USA contact and first DX (both framed). Yea (like you said) - he says 2 Green Stamps or one IRC. So, you can either put 2 $1.00 bills in a envelope or run up and get one IRC. Personally, I didn't feel like messing with IRCs (if they took green stamps). I would contact him (he has his e-mail on his QRZ page) and ask him to provide his mailing address (so you are sure your letter will go to the right place). You can then run up to the PO and get the appropriate stamps, place them on your letter - and mail it. One thing you must remember - this stuff is going overseas so expect to wait a month for a return. Once you get his card - you frame that puppy!
killingme_01.gif

I sure will. He was saying on the radio he doesn't have internet so I hope the address he has listed at QRZ.com is current.

I would not bother with the IRC's which are International Reply Coupons. They can be a real pain to deal with if either you or the post office has no clue about them. They are not used very often and a lot of post offices, especially in smaller rural areas, have no clue about them. They MUST be stamped at the post office that issues them and they are not cheap. A lot of countries do not honor them. I would elect to send $2 wrapped in a sheet of paper so it cannot be seen thru the envelope. I gave up using IRC's a long time ago.If you do use them make sure they are the current issue and not some old left-overs the post office has had and don't understand anything about them. It happens.

Congrats on the contact BTW.

Thanks for the info Captain Kilowatt. I think what I'm going to do is what you mentioned and just put the $2 in a Flat Rate envelope along with my QSL Card and see how that goes. I was able to make a 2nd contact today with a DXpedition team in Curacao. That was pretty cool. Hopefully I will get a card from them as well.

The thing that keeps going through my mind is that if I'm able to successfully get my General License, a lot more will open up to me as I was scanning through some of the higher bands and listening to a lot of what was going on. I'm really excited.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.