• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

johnson messenger 223 frequency adjust

fancy pants

Feb 9, 2011
2 part question here. first is there any frequency adjustment on this radio. i have a few channels that are off. not all but some. second can i replace the 5 pin connector on it to a 4 pin cobra style. if so how would i do it. thanks in advance for the help

The operating frequencies in the Messenger 223 are generated by mixing the outputs of two crystal oscillators in a 6 x 4 switching arrangement. The crystals control the oscillators and there is no provision for adjusting individual crystals. Chances are there is only one bad crystal. Give me a list of the channels that are off frequency and the actual frequencies you are reading on these channels. I will try to tell you which crystal is bad. Replacement crystals are readily available.

As for the mike plug. Pin 5 on the stock connector is not used, so simply connect pin 1 on the 5-pin to pin 1 on the 4-pin, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and 4 to 4.

[...] As for the mike plug. Pin 5 on the stock connector is not used, so simply connect pin 1 on the 5-pin to pin 1 on the 4-pin, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and 4 to 4.
You might want to rewire the 4-pin socket to Cobra or Galaxy standards, to allow you to use a pre-wired mic.

As far as the off-frequency crystal goes... the Messenger probably uses the 6X4X4 scheme. If both TX and RX are off, it's one of the bank of six crystals. If it's only TX or RX, then it's one of the bank of four. Try Ken's Electronics for crystals.

You might want to rewire the 4-pin socket to Cobra or Galaxy standards, to allow you to use a pre-wired mic..

I would NOT recommend rewiring it to Cobra/Galaxy standards. The 223 uses a high impedance (5k ohm) mike, and all replacement mikes are low impedance (600 ohm) and won't work properly with the Johnson. Not using the Cobra/Galaxy scheme will PREVENT a prewired mike from being accidentally used.

I would NOT recommend rewiring it to Cobra/Galaxy standards. The 223 uses a high impedance (5k ohm) mike, and all replacement mikes are low impedance (600 ohm) and won't work properly with the Johnson. Not using the Cobra/Galaxy scheme will PREVENT a prewired mike from being accidentally used.
Good point! Best to use either the original Johnson mike, or any Hi-Z crystal mikes. An unpreamped D-104 will work well. (Small mod: change out the grid-leak resistor of the mic preamp to 5 megohms, and that D-104 will sound wonderful.)

ill get a list of channels and frequencies asap. i am currently using a turner +2 on this radio. i tried a silver eagle and a tug8 d104. neither sounded good. the turner sounds great. i would love to get a little more modulation out of it but it sounds great now. almost studio quality. dk seems a little low, only 2 watts. maybe thats normal. i run it with a kris boomer. great combo. i have a couple of these radios. im still in sesarch of a mint F model. i have an H. or mint any model for that matter. meter doesnt show any receive signal and very low transmit. meter is good and we tried all the adjustments possible. something bad in the circuit i guess. i couldnt afford a big boy tube radio but i must say these are pretty darn good. if you fellas or anyone else has any suggestions that might bring the audio up and help with the meter feel free to let me know. i have an OCD with my gear working the way it should. i ame new to the tube scene and still learning. by the way all the tubes are new...or NOS but tested new. thanks.

ok, channels 17, 18, 19 and 20 are the ones that are off. they all read the same. 1632, 1732, 1832, 2032. pretty sure its the 32.900 thats bad. if you concur let me know where i can get one. thanks

Yup have to change the crystal out, pretty easy just two leg crystals. 2 watt deadkey is normal for that model with swing to around 5-7 watts. If you can find the original Johnson desk mike that has the 5 pin plug and on the bottom has the gain adj they match up awesomely with those old radios. I've bought a couple on ebay over the years. See my review on the Johnson messenger 250. As soon as I posted that review I noticed prices on the radios and microphones went up on ebay :(

Have you ordered a 32.900 MHz crystal from Ken's Electronics yet? I just picked up a sweet Johnson Messenger 250 base that's also off frequency about 5 KHz on channels 17-20. My freq counter reads on channel 19 that transmit / receive is 27.1803 MHz. All others are dead on except these 4. Just wondering how this turned out for you? I'm about ready to order a new 32.900 MHz crystal from Ken's tomorrow.

Also... Ken's listing reads "Synthesis / PLL" for the crystal. Do I need to specify "Synthesis" or "PLL"... or are they the same?

honestly, that site is not very good nor is the communication from them. i placed an order and waited and waited and finally figured they were out of business. i emailed them to cancel it. then i got a reply saying since i needed a quote they would get around to it when they wanted. needless to say i wont order from them nor recommend them to anyone. just my opinion. again just my opinion. no need to tell me im a bad person for not liking their way of doing business. what i did do was pick up a parts 250 that had all good crystals for 10 bucks and used the parts from that radio. worked like a charm. everything is on freq and the radio works great. with the exception of the meter but no one has come up with a fix for that one yet. yes, to answer your question that is the crystal you need

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad I held off ordering from them today. Going to try adding some small ceramic capacitors in parallel with the crystal to pull the frequency up to spec. Probably a long shot... but might work according to what I've seen on the net. If all else fails I've got a Messenger 223 that I'll just "borrow" from in the short term

Thanks again!

TR

I haven't checked but if they sell the crystals digikey is a great place to get parts from, they take credit cards and will also ship cod which is the way I get mine, they usually ship out the very next day after ordering.

Johnson 223 0r 124-M

Dear Old Johnson Lovers,
Can I make my 223 a 40 Ch. C.B. With maybe a "Mixing Rock Box"
VFO, or Expo 160 Kit ?? Any suggestions welcomed .. :headbang
If anyone has a "Good" 223 or 124-M priced REASONABLY
Please contact me at freddbro@aol.com Thank You All.. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.