• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got my General, and a used kenwood 570d-g, what antenna should i consider

KD8JUF

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 24, 2010
Cleveland, OHIO, USA
I live in a slab 3 bedroom ranch. So I have no restrictions on putting up an antenna. Is the G5RV, inverted V or a zepp a good choice? I'm looking at getting started on HF maybe 20 & 40 meter phone to start. What would you recommend? I live in the burbs of Cleveland Ohio near the shore of Lake Eire.

Mike
KD8JUF

With no restriction on antenna type or mounting I would go for whatever my wallet allowed,maybe something like a TH-11DX for 10-20m five band coverage and a good tower to put it on and hang a few good wire antenna for the lower bands.

Now snapping back to reality,:D I personally would forget the G5RV. It works good on 20m and anywhere from good to horrible on the other bands. A good doublet,either flat top or inverted VEE, fed with ladder line to a good tuner will be a very good performer on all bands. Make it at least 65 feet or so long on each side of center for 80m and up. The higher the band the higher the gain it will have. I am presently running that antenna and it works pretty good but I am still waiting and trying to get the rotator replaced and get the new Hygain Explorer-14 up along with the 40m add-on kit.

I think I would consider any antenna you think you might want to try. Probably the simplest and most used antenna is a 1/2 wave dipole. Wire antenna are a bit easier to manage for the lower HF bands, and are very common. Beams start being a 'reasonable' size around 20 meters. And if you are willing to do the ground system required, verticals can work just about anywhere conveniently.
It's basically up to you as far as how 'elaborate' you want to get and what you want to try.
- 'Doc

Whatever you do remember these two laws of antennas.

1- If it stays up in a storm it isn't big enough. :D

2- The bigger and uglier the antenna is the better it will perform. :p:

If you can, wait until next winter to install your antenna because EVERYONE knows that an antenna erected in a freezing storm will always perform MUCH better than one erected in mild weather. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?