1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Just got my technician license today!

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Phobeaphobe, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Phobeaphobe

Phobeaphobe New Member

Hey all. I finally showed up in the ULS database today after a week of waiting. I am a newcomer to amateur radio, and interested in learning all the capabilities.

When I was younger, I spent a lot of time in my grandfather's shack listening to him make contacts all over the world. I hope to continue on his legacy, but, it seems difficult to break into on a budget.

2. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Congrats Mr Hammy!! I will get ticket one day.

S&W357, Rwb and Eldorado828 like this.
  3. Justme

Justme Sr. Member

Congrats ;)
    Licensed since 44 years, started out with cheap stuff at first as well, to get my feet wet.
    No need to buy fancy stuff first, get a few cheap radio's experiment and later when finances get better you can always go for better transceivers and stuff.

S&W357 and Rwb like this.
  4. hillbilly101

hillbilly101 KE8GGC

Congrats!

5. NightThumper

NightThumper Sr. Member

Congratulations on top of congratulations sir. I’m sure grandfather is smiling

6. 928bolo

928bolo W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Congratulations!

7. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

congrats. remember a good radio is ok but junk isnt. ask members n some can tell you whats lower priced but works great.biggest key to any transmitter is antennas and coax

S&W357 and hillbilly101 like this.
  8. ShagNasty

ShagNasty New Member

Congrats.

Rwb and S&W357 like this.
  9. S&W357

S&W357 $upporting Member N.C. WDX-556

Congratulations! Gramps would be proud!

Rwb and ForestRunner98 like this.
  10. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Sr. Member

Congrats now study up get that general class and it will open up a ton of stuff for you and its not that harder than the tech.

Rwb likes this.
  11. Alan Blackmon

Alan Blackmon Well-Known Member

Congratulations. AB7XX in Boise. Don't stop. Move on to the General. Meanwhile put up some antennas. Build a few. Quarterwave vertical for 2 meters 220 and 440 are pretty easy and there are lots of builds posted on Youtube. Maybe even go for a Moxon on 2 meters and the other bands. I have built both of these designs and did a 2 meter 4 element build from old TV antenna parts. Had a blast doing it. I can put my HT on the four element and hit a repeater out at 70 miles. Also if you get a HF radio you can listen in on some fun QSOs. Then one day you pass your exam and you will be ready to join in.

Rwb likes this.