• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just how long has the "swing mod" been around? (1979?)

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
hi all,

i was browsing through Volume 5 of the SECRET CB books (published in April of 1979) a few days ago, and lo and behold, on page 43 is the ever popular "add a series resistor and a parallel capacitor to the voltage line going from the audio transformer to the driver" modification.

in the book, this mod is applied to some Boman base station radio, but it says, and we already know, that this mod can apply to other AM only radios.

now, knowing that this mod has been around for 30 years, if not longer; i wonder how long it took for it to catch on the way it has.

so who knows about the history of this mod?

i for one thought it had only been around for 15 years or so, as an improvement over the old "select-a-watt" mods of yesteryear.

any and all info and stories are welcome in this thread.
LC

Last edited:

yes, the "swing" mod has been around for several decades. I can remember as far back as I can when the swing mods were a top secret thing, now, it's pretty much been common knowledge of the past 20 years. I think what you might view as "how long it took for it to catch on the way it has." I think that has certainly got something to do with the amount linear amps in use today, back then, it was a no no and only the outlaw CB guys used them, but, times have changed of course and with everybody using a ,linear that owns a cb radio, the swing mod is just the "norm" you might say.

in the secret cb book, a person named R. Boyer is given credit for coming up with this trick, but i wonder who the first one to try it was.

to those reading this thread; what year did you first hear about "swing mods"?

anyone do one back in the early eighties?

LC

It actually dates back to early vintage tube radios, were some reduced carrier mods for Johnny I, II, and Regency made a few DSB reduced carrier radios, I have a pair of old Olson Sidebander II radios, they actually are Dsb reduced carrier. Also back in the early 70s a fellow in Milwaukee did some "swing mods".. Not really anything new, the concept has just been stretched and mutated to line a whole lot of pockets. I think the first "Swing Kits" were marketed by H&Y back in early 80s, from what I remember anyhow.

The 'swing' mods have been around since AM was first introduced. There was a lot of experimenting to find what the best ratio of modulation to carrier produced the best signal with the least distortion. So you can say that that 'swing' mod has been around for however long AM has been around. What's that, something like 75 - 80 years? Why does it seem like it may have been a secret? Cuz people's standards/judgment have changed, willing to swap 'quality' for 'quantity'.
- 'Doc

Reactions: LeapFrog
You need to define the term 'swing'.

because standard AM will have swing when 100% modulated compared to dead key.
I think RMS power will be 1.5x more when 100% symmetrically modulated with sine wave audio, compared to dead key RMS.

Perhaps 'swing' is when the RF carrier is purposely reduced when there is no audio, and then allowed to restore to normal level during modulation.

The other 'swing' could be non-symmetrical AM, where the positive peak is allowed to exceed 100%, but the negative peak could never exceed 100% or splatter would result.

Reactions: walterjn and NZ8N
Some would say it's been around to long. :)

Cuz people's standards/judgment have changed, willing to swap 'quality' for 'quantity'.
- 'Doc

Some would also say , He's right. :)

And perhaps if my aunt Tilly had been born with wheels instead of legs she would have been my aunt Tilly The Tea Trolley.

I think 'swing' is more than adequately defined and has been through usage for quite some time. What 'swing' describes has also been defined for quite some time. The difference between what is typically meant by CB'er 'swing' and the legitimate definition of that phenomenon has been distorted beyond any practical use. That 'asymmetrical' 'swing' is a very good example of that. It's all attributable to a lack of knowledge.

Do I think I'm going to change anyone's mind about that? Yeah, sure! That's about as likely as me winning the lottery without ever buying a ticket... :)
- 'Doc

That idea goes back to Heising modulation where you needed it just to get 100%.

Early 1930s.

My dad did it to a lafayette telsat-924 in 1970, went from a 4 watt carrier to a 12 watt swing(pep).

Not bad for a 12th degree blackbelt in mail corespondence electronics and an extra class hammie.

In the day it was known as (strapping)

My dad did it to a lafayette telsat-924 in 1970, went from a 4 watt carrier to a 12 watt swing(pep).

Not bad for a 12th degree blackbelt in mail corespondence electronics and an extra class hammie.

In the day it was known as (strapping)

I have a Telsat 925. It's completely stock. Makes about 15 watts P.E.P.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?