• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

K 40 cb radio??

judgemint

Aug 25, 2009
I have found a k-40 CB radio, on craigslist. I cant find any info on the k-40 CB, just antennas. any info would be greatly app, Thanx. P.s the kid wanted 50.00 for it,but will take 25.00. He doesn't know anything about it. He bought it at a yardsale

Attachments

• 3pa3ob3le5Qd5S95Rf98d6dd714447ae6138e.jpg
    3pa3ob3le5Qd5S95Rf98d6dd714447ae6138e.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

It has been quite a while since I have seen a K40 CB. I had a couple back in the late 80's. they made several models, I had one like your picture and they made a smaller more simple one also. Don't know how long they have been out of production. All I can tell you about them is that I remember them as being about a middle tier radio and worked pretty well.

skipper1

K-40 K401

I don't mean to bring up these old threads, but I too have come across an old K40 radio deemed the K401 (back label).

It came in a box stating to be the world's smallest radio and it came with a speech processing mic, very cool technology. This radio was modified when the previous owner purchase it in 1987 (its manufacturing date) and I would like to try and find a bit more information on it.

I plan on testing it out in the car with my wilson 1000 to see what kind of power this tech really put into this little guy, he even added the cigarette lighter power for easy transportation. I am suspecting a 7w dk with 15-20w PEP with the mic helping to get me out there, but we'll just have to wait and see. I am sure this will perform better than a regular 7w dk/15w PEP radio just because of the technology this thing has packed into it unlike most other radios.

Came with the receipt as well, purchase price of $187 original + mods (I suspect), they could have been extra seeing the extensive interior modifications.

Can anyone tell me what kind of board this is? I've heard Uniden and Cobra, but so far am yet to find a matching adjustment page/diagram.

Thanks,

GreenTeg Out.

I have found a k-40 CB radio, on craigslist. I cant find any info on the k-40 CB, just antennas. any info would be greatly app, Thanx. P.s the kid wanted 50.00 for it,but will take 25.00. He doesn't know anything about it. He bought it at a yardsale

The K40 radios were very poor sellers........good reason for that. Despite the technology, they were just average.

Looks the same as a old UKFM Shogun, obviously not the same in side as ones AM and the others FM and the board in the Shogun was purpose made FM only.
If I recall made in Japan.

Dave

Attachments

• !By+bIeQ!2k~$(KGrHqMOKikEwQ4ofzb7BMUEMu4c+!~~_12.JPG
    !By+bIeQ!2k~$(KGrHqMOKikEwQ4ofzb7BMUEMu4c+!~~_12.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 107
The Thin larger models where made by Hatadi in Japan and they also made some of the Pearce Simpson Super Panther models too.....The K40 SSB unit is a great unit if you want a good sounding radio with good audio and solid SSB performance. Power wise they nothing fancy. I always thought great audio and rock solid freq. stability on SSB should come first. The Shogun model int he UK also the same basic board. Their are all kinds of mod's for them.....

The little tiny unit from K40 had I thought part of the processor in the mic and part in the unit but I can not recall now....I know the electronic shop I worked at back then did not sell a single one of them the 3 or so years I was their. The owner would talk people out of it due to cost and better units on the market at the time. We sold a lot of K40 magnet mount ant.'s though probably not less then 100 a year which considering the cost is something back int he 1980's.

I also want to say that the little tiny K40 radio am only had a Unidens cheapest am only board in it. So it was not a radio that could be modified for much....... Selling Speech Processor to CB'er's abck then was like trying to sell diet beer to a German!!!! Back then they wanted "Super Swing" type modifications.

Reactions: Holydvr
I don't mean to bring up these old threads, but I too have come across an old K40 radio deemed the K401 (back label).

It came in a box stating to be the world's smallest radio and it came with a speech processing mic, very cool technology. This radio was modified when the previous owner purchase it in 1987 (its manufacturing date) and I would like to try and find a bit more information on it.

I plan on testing it out in the car with my wilson 1000 to see what kind of power this tech really put into this little guy, he even added the cigarette lighter power for easy transportation. I am suspecting a 7w dk with 15-20w PEP with the mic helping to get me out there, but we'll just have to wait and see. I am sure this will perform better than a regular 7w dk/15w PEP radio just because of the technology this thing has packed into it unlike most other radios.

Came with the receipt as well, purchase price of $187 original + mods (I suspect), they could have been extra seeing the extensive interior modifications.

Can anyone tell me what kind of board this is? I've heard Uniden and Cobra, but so far am yet to find a matching adjustment page/diagram.

Thanks,

GreenTeg Out.

LOL, don't be too disapointed I guess. I have had two K-40-8 radio's. They are built on the Cobra 25 chasis. Understand K-40 does not build their own radio's. They are ok but nothing special.

YUCK is all i can say. I had one in the early 1990s and it was NOT a good radio at all. I sent it back to Copper and exchanged it for a Cobra 21 LTD Classic, LOL. That little Cobra worked GREAT! Those little K 40 CBs reminds me of a cheapie Radio Shack.

I have a smaller K40 that I am running right now as a daily user. I am at work, so I can not check the model number. The squelch and volume power are a dual knob, with no other controls on the front. It is amount the same size as a Uniden 510. DTB did the peak and tune for me. 5 watts swing to about 24. The speach processor is a separate board inside the unit. I had a previous shop tune it for me and he did not even come close to the clean TX and RX DTB got. I like the little radio, because of the filtering on the receive. I get little bleed over from the locals talking on three channels at once. It came with an Astatic mic with a magnet back. The mic element was bad. I use a Skythumper ST-65DX mic on it. It do not have a lot of audio output for external speaker. I can only use the wedgie style 5 watt job with good results.

Reactions: Holydvr
Looks like to me you Judement, you had an interest in the sideband model one, which no one here seemed to have picked up on during this conversation. I'm still looking for one myself.

73's

Looks like to me you Judement, you had an interest in the sideband model one, which no one here seemed to have picked up on during this conversation. I'm still looking for one myself.

73's

I didn't even know K40 made a sideband unit. I've never seen one. Time to start looking for pictures...

Well I'll save ya some time !

I'd like to have one to at least try out for a while.

73's Retro

Attachments

• K40 Sideband mobile 7.jpg
    K40 Sideband mobile 7.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 43
  • K40 Sideband mobile 8.jpg
    K40 Sideband mobile 8.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 41
Looks more like a Component used in a Stereo rack!

Nice...

Don't see "AM SSB mode - then Select USB or LSB" feature - wild - with 2 RF meters...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated