• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

K 40

mackmobile43

Jock Supporter
Feb 11, 2008
Did not know K was into the coil antenna market and who is K anyway? who makes K?
Saw them at Loves truck stop for $59.95
K40 ANTENNAS & ACCESSORIES K40BCMAX Helical Coil CB/10 Meter Antenna - 20 000 Watts 26MHz-30MHz

11DIoPMIaBL._SS500_.jpg

I would have to disagree. Unless they have changed since the 70's they are excellent antennas. I have talked barefoot all over the us, and still use one for 10m mobile with excellent results. One of the best antennas I have ever owned.

pr

Disagree all you want,thats what forums are for.I bought one years ago and had to replace the coil every few weeks to a month because the coil cracked at the top and filled with water.Didnt cost me anything because it had a lifetime warrenty if i remember right.also had to warrenty the cheap plastic base because it cracked.:oops:

Well; I had a K-40 mag mount for a few years. Thought it was the bee's knee's UNTIL I tried a Wilson 1000 mag mount. No contest; the Wilson kicked the K-40's butt - badly.
But that is about mag-mounts; 'coily' designs are another animal.

I think the coil antenna shown above can be expected to perform similarly to other 'coily' type of antennas. They are using the same materials, the same amount of coil winds, the same diameter of the coil, etc, etc...

I think the difference between any of these designs is the details and choices in mfr process. That is; which one can handle more physical abuse and not break? IS the Predator 10k or the 55 or the Mr Coily better built than the K-40? Is K-40 building as well and selling it for less?

The difference is probably realized in the workmanship...

I dont know about the coily antennas, they are all the same. But, I have had the same K40 base loaded antenna in more or less continued service for 25 or more years. Still works perfectly. Try that with your old wilsons.LOL!

PR

Well; I had a K-40 mag mount for a few years. Thought it was the bee's knee's UNTIL I tried a Wilson 1000 mag mount. No contest; the Wilson kicked the K-40's butt - badly.
But that is about mag-mounts; 'coily' designs are another animal.

I think the coil antenna shown above can be expected to perform similarly to other 'coily' type of antennas. They are using the same materials, the same amount of coil winds, the same diameter of the coil, etc, etc...

I think the difference between any of these designs is the details and choices in mfr process. That is; which one can handle more physical abuse and not break? IS the Predator 10k or the 55 or the Mr Coily better built than the K-40? Is K-40 building as well and selling it for less?

The difference is probably realized in the workmanship...

Theres no doubt the wilson 1000 will kick the k-40's ass,i found that out myself.next mobile antenna im trying is the sirio 5000,the stinger length is longer than the wilson and i think it may outperform it.

Theres no doubt the wilson 1000 will kick the k-40's ass,i found that out myself.next mobile antenna im trying is the sirio 5000,the stinger length is longer than the wilson and i think it may outperform it.
Funny you should say that.
I wrote a review on it that you might find interesting.
Well; a Sirio Z180 - which is very close to the Sirio 5000 (if it is the same antenna that I think the 5000 is)...
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-anten...load-mobile-citizens-band-radio-antennas.html

You can take that K 40 and chuck it..
I tried one back in 70's and thought it was Ok..
That is until i went to a coil antenna..

There is NO Comparison..
The wilson is No better then the K 40..

Back in the late 70's it was the K 40 that started my antenna comparisons and testing...

Was when i realized how Big ( Huge ) a difference an antenna ( the right antenna ) makes..

The Only advantage to a K40 or Wilson 1000/5000 antenna..
is they are easier to deal with..

The coil antennas transmit far better but require very strong mounts..

However i would only ever use a coil antenna..
Better hearing and transmitting wins out with me every time

I won't argue with you about a coil antenna being better than a base load.
You are right. I can't -or won't- use a coil antenna. My vehicle is an '08 and I don't want to punch any holes in it or have to replace the alternator and battery to put a linear in. But I will disagree with you on the mag-mount antennas. I could easily hear a huge difference between the K-40 and the Wilson - tho. Of couse, it might seem nit-picky about base loads. If I had a tri-mag mount I might consider giving one of those coily antennas a try. Maybe in the future...

You can take that K 40 and chuck it..
I tried one back in 70's and thought it was Ok..
That is until i went to a coil antenna..

There is NO Comparison..
The wilson is No better then the K 40..

Back in the late 70's it was the K 40 that started my antenna comparisons and testing...

Was when i realized how Big ( Huge ) a difference an antenna ( the right antenna ) makes..

The Only advantage to a K40 or Wilson 1000/5000 antenna..
is they are easier to deal with..

The coil antennas transmit far better but require very strong mounts..

However i would only ever use a coil antenna..
Better hearing and transmitting wins out with me every time

as usual,you dont even have a clue:pop:

still no answer to my original >? when did they start making coil antennas and who makes the k antennas, like who the f are K?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated