• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts-130s

A friend of mine just picked one up for 150 bucks. So far, it is pretty good, but it drifts with temperature changes in the room. It seems to have a really hot RX. He has a Turner +2 hooked up to it and it sounds really nice with the processor on. Very crisp and clear, but also full range with a little bass to it. I think he got a great deal.

Measure the power into a good dummy load. Note whether you're on AM/CW/SSB, and whether you're measuring average or PEP.

Many ham transceivers have a bit lower output on ten meters - typically 80 watts from a "100 watt" radio.

What does the manual say?

kenwood ts 130s hf radio

i did thing is i went by the service manual i set the dials where it says to now it says to set vr3 to 95w it won't go to 95w tad bit above 50w and thats it. This part is for cw

Last edited:
Measure the output into a good dummy load, using CW as the mode. Select CW, plug in a key, or a switch wired to act as a key, or just two wires connected to the proper type of plug. Key it with the power full up (assuming your dummy load is capable of dissipating the full output).

See if your output is at or near 100 watts.

That's your PEP output. Most meters just don't work fast enough to see the full 100 watts. A good reading might be 25-30 watts (25-30% of rated output power). Keep an eye on the ALC and don't overdrive things. You should NOT see 100 watts into the dummy load unless you're looking at things with an oscilloscope.

ts-130s

all but 100w on cw is what i don't get the rf gain if i turn it down the meter goes up like a deadkey should it do that.Also all but 100w on 10 meter cleaned up a few things in it she works good now

ts-130s

no i can pull it but didn't do it i know it's for 12 and a few others but thats just for tx nothing else.Or is it.There is a ghost in the radio if i have the cover off it will do a full shot to 100+w no swing the the power goes like someone turned it off now if i put the top cover back on it loses 30w and has swing like a cb after a tune it's like erratic power whats going on NEED HELP

Last edited:
Interesting...

Make sure there is not something touching the case internally that shouldn't be (i.e. non-insulated wire or component) when sliding the cover on. Also make sure the cover screws are not touching something they are not supposed to.

Other than that I couldn't say without more info.

ts-130s

screws seem ok i think if the protection voltage isn't set right but trying to see how to get to the test points on filter unit tight do you have to remove the back of the radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?