• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-830

It can, and it is very simple, and I even posted it on this board a few years ago. Then there was a slight pissing match with some guy named greg that charges hundreds of dollars to do an 11 meter mod to that radio.

I have since then lost the file that contains the mod info (it only involves cutting 1 wire) I tried searching here, but I think that thread might have been lost when the forum software and ownership changed. Maybe Moleculo can poke around if he has the old forum backed up on disk somewhere....

Good luck. I'll keep looking around and see if I can find a backup here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I've lost it.

Maybe Highlander can tell you if this is the "cut wire mode that he was talking about.

I had some trouble figuring out what to do on the WARC modification. Looking at several mod sites which list how to do the fix I was confused by the terminology. In the Service Manual the IC's aren't labled as IC but as Q. The mod calls for grounding pin 12 of IC-23 on the Digital Unit PCB. I also don't have a Digital Unit PCB listed in the service manual. So I wrote to Kenwood service to find out.

Here is their response:

Dear Kenwood Customer,

For WARC cut pin 4 (blue wire), connector #6, on the AF Unit X49-1140-00.

73 Kenwood

Hope this helps to avoid confusion for anyone else trying to perform this mod.

73/72 - Kevin, KC8SFJ

Again, I don't know if this works.

Rich

Nope. The one I had I think involved cutting the purple wire that was connected to a 6 wire plug that was associated with the PLL section. It caused the radio to operate on 11 meters, but with the display reading 2 MHZ high. In other words, you are talking to someone on 27.500, the display would read 29.500.

I friend of mine in the Chicago area had one, and this mod worked for him. He installed a SPST switch on the wire to make the mod switchable.

The WARC mod works, but doesn't give you 11 meters, or any other out-of-band access, AFAIK.

Yeah, I didn't think that just the WARC mod would give him 11 meters, but hey, it was one wire.

Not much info out there, Datsun. Sorry we can't be of more service.

Rich

Beetle said:
Start cutting wires, one at a time, and see what happens.

Probably not a good idea, lol.

But I am increasingly confident that my recollection is correct. If you can locate a 6 wire plug near the PLL section, and it has a purple wire, you might be good to go.

But I'm not 100 percent sure.....

datsun66 said:
Does anyone know if this radio can be coverted to 11 meters.

Is there more than one way to do something ? YOU BET
Is there more than one way to do it right ? sometimes..

I, like many others searched for a simple and easy way
to convert my beloved TS 530 to eleven meters and not
butcher it.
I wanted the display correct and I wanted it fully aligned
and working to perfection.

I introduced Greg to the forum many years ago when only
a few like Doc proclaimed their faith as a ham.

Not to make anyone mad as I hold no grudge towards anyone
at this site.

Greg was not ready for the way he was treated and as such
responded to a member in a way that he should not have done.

Who of us are perfect ?? :roll: beside Myself @ Doc :LOL:

It is up to you to decide if what he charges is worthwhile to
you.
I have never been sorry about having mine modified along
with the other mods.

I don`t believe I have had the pleasure to Dx with you as yet
but with those that I have had from the Home Base, and the
North Texas Portable I will let that be my recomendation.

ESP < Electronic Service Pros>
http://www.D104mods.com

Greg Weremey N1JFE xtra class operator
e-mail esprepair@comcast.net
Ph. 508 432 8831

Best Regards,
John
KD5WJY

Thx for all of the help on this. I bought a FT101EX and it is in great shape for the age with gust a few problems that a good alignment would't cure. It came with two 11 meter crystals in it which I pulled and I will have to order the 10A crystal.
I will be looking out for a Kenwood TS830 to add to me shack.
Great radios. ( HI MOLE ). :rknrl
KE7KPB
CDX1143
AK2143

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.