1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Kenwood TS450S

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by CrazyD, May 14, 2021.

1. CrazyD

CrazyD Member

are these radios good radios ? is there any tweaks i should know about ? or known problems with this radio ? i picked one up for $220 and it seems to work.

2. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

That's a good price for one. Excellent rig even on AM

3. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

Had one years ago and I really liked it and for $220, that's a steal.

Dr_DX

4. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Was a great radio when it was introduced decades ago. This many years later, the mileage matters a lot. If it was treated well, might serve a long time. And if it was mistreated, not so much.

Then again, I had an experience a few years ago with a guy who had a reputation for shutting down a channel for days at a time. His radio had a burned wire leading to the center pin of the antenna socket. The circuit board where it attached had visible heat issues, but the expensive stuff was okay. No problem with the final or driver transistors once the mechanical faults were fixed.

Gave the impression of a tough radio to kill.

CrazyD likes this.
  5. 928bolo

928bolo W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Great radio for that price!

6. CrazyD

CrazyD Member

im going to use a SDR with it so i can use my PC i have a hackrf i think i can just use that by tapping into the IF this is fun then i can do digital modes too i think they call it a panadapter

7. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Great Radio...had one for like 11 years...I had mine LOADED with INRAD RX Filters!!!
    Extra 2.4kc/+2.8kc and 1.8kc SSB...plus 6.0kc Am filter...very greatly improved the receiver having the switchable filters. Had great "ears".

Sounded best with a studio desk mic... I used Audio Technica T1000 HE or the Heil Gold Elite...got great reports once I through the hand mic in the box!

International Radio ::... (inrad.net)

wavrider likes this.
  8. CrazyD

CrazyD Member

this radio is totally stock did not even have the Mars mod...i need to get my hands on some filters

BJ radionut likes this.
  9. BJ radionut

The INRAD Filters are highly Superior to the Kenwood Filters...Yes they cost more, but having used both the dual 2.4kc Kenwood filters and then replacing with the INRAD Filters...the difference was very apparent IMHO...
    I had almost as much in Filter costs than I did radio...I had $600 in the filters (Purchased NIB) was able to sell the Kenwood filters quickly and recover some of the cost!(y)
    With that filter package installed that rig had better "ears" than my TS-850 or the TS-940 (both stock) I had owned also...
    Once I got the studio mic installed, TX audio wise nobody knew which rig I was on!:LOL::love:
    All the Best
    Gary/W9FNB

CrazyD likes this.
  10. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

The only problem I had with mine is the common problem of bad cap C104... Easy to fix

CrazyD likes this.
  11. BJ radionut

CrazyD likes this.