• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS450SAT ?

WR0220

Oct 26, 2008
DX Land
I've read the reviews on this rig, but if possible would like to get some additional input from people that own/have owned this rig. The one I'm considering has 2 CW & 1 SSB filters, TCXO unit, tone unit & voice module options already installed and is a '9 out of 10' according to the owner. I'm thinking of trading a newer 2995dx for it...whatcha think?

HF Bands and HF Rigs

Know The Radio Well If you need The Radio too do What you Want Great Rig Own 1 Myself + Many others won't Part with Mine Great Radio! My primary Operating Rig (y)

the 450 is a nice radio with plenty of filter options and good tx audio quality, they are not the best hf set out there by a long way, 450's are noisy on crowded bands compared to the better hf sets but they are a dam site better than any cb radio imho.

I've read the reviews on this rig, but if possible would like to get some additional input from people that own/have owned this rig. The one I'm considering has 2 CW & 1 SSB filters, TCXO unit, tone unit & voice module options already installed and is a '9 out of 10' according to the owner. I'm thinking of trading a newer 2995dx for it...whatcha think?

Get it. Period.

PS. TS450 owner (same rig) for 14 years. No failures of any kind.

TS-450Sat

Sounds like a great trade to me also. The receiver should far excel from what I have seen from RCI.

I've had a 450 for going on 7 or 8+ years now. Never had a problem I recall. I did send mine in 5 or 6 years ago to have it loaded with INRAD filters. The rig now contains the upgraded 6kHz (AM-SWL)/2.4kHz(SSB) in both IF's and the 8.8 meg IF also has a very sharp 1.8kHz that is great for SSB in crowded band conditions. I had one slot left for a narrow CW filter but have never installed it. I really never needed it! Pretty darn good receiver.

I use an Audio Technica "High Energy" studio Mic and always get good reports with or without the processor engaged.

The tuner works well alone, though it's range like most internals is limited, but it's great when used with an amplifier not having a true tuned input like my home-brew desk top 4/EL509's amp I use on 10-40 meters sometimes.
The controls all work well and it's easy to program and access functions.
Overall on a 1 to 10 scale I would rate the rig 8+. I still have it on the bench right next to my YAESU FT-950, and have no plans to sell her.
My 2 cents worth...
All the Best
BJ

Yeah, I loaded mine up with filters too...I've got another 2.3 khz SSB filter, and two 500 khz for CW and RTTY work...all Kenwood.

They say the Inrad filters can run rings around the stock Kenwood filters...what's been your experience? I'm pretty impressed with the Kenwoods...

I've experience with both Kenwood and Inrad filters. If you have the choice, Inrad wins every time, bar none! Kenwood's filters are adequate, sort of, but definitely not the best in the world.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.