• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kobitone microphone element(Part #25LM022) comparison!

I figured this would be the best place to post my side by side comparison of the $3.52 Kobitone microphone element(Part#25LM022). This microphone element is a HI-Z crystal cartridge. There is a ceramic cartridge version that I have not tried (Part#25LM021). The catalog page is located here:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/623/1260.pdf

I have many different Astatic microphones that have different types of elements in them. I have an Astatic Silver Eagle head with a Heil HC-5 element, The element itself cost $45.00. The Heil element is awesome, But everyone that heard the Kobitone 25LM022 in a side by side comparison liked the Kobitone better. I also tested a stock Astatic DN-HZ and an Astatic T-3 with the stock MC-127/MC-151 element that people are paying in upwards of $99.00 for just the element(It is no longer made). I also did side by side comparisons with a stock Astatic Silver Eagle head and a stock Astatic D-104 head and again the Kobitone was the chosen one. I made sure in the comparisons that I did not tell people what element or microphone I was using and I did the comparison on SSB and AM modes. I had the very rare opportunity to listen to the comparisons of microphone heads, My wife did the switching of microphone heads while I was across town. In my opinion the Kobitone 25LM022 is an awesome replacement that I would say sounds as good as all the other microphones I tested. I would not say it is better, But it is not worse. The Kobitone has it's own characteristics of sound like any other, but it does compare making it a great replacement at an incredible price. I am not the only one who has done this side by side comparison, Harmonica and blues guys are swearing by these elements and so are a number of Amatuer Radio operators. I was told that these Kobitone elements are Chinese made, But the elements themselves have Japan stamped into the metal on the back of the element. If you do decide to buy some of these Kobitone elements be aware that the thin metal cover of the element may be dented when you receive it, But not in any way does it effect the element itself. I ordered 4 and only one of the Kobitone elements was like this. Any questions anyone has for me I will gladly answer.

Thanks,

Larry T.

greg a lot of the mud you get with cheap power mics is due to restricted bandwith in the amplifier circuit, you can't cure a really shitty element but big improvements are easy to get, i used to mod the densie/altai mics back in the 80's, a few cap changes and most people thought they sounded as good as a turner m+3b, if the mic element does not do the trick then modding the preamp is an easy way to alter tone characteristics on virtually any amplified mic, the easiest mod i ever thought of is putting tone control on a d104m6 to make them sound very much like a 575m6 instead of the castrated tincan sound the later d104's have

bob85 said:
greg a lot of the mud you get with cheap power mics is due to restricted bandwith in the amplifier circuit, you can't cure a really shitty element but big improvements are easy to get, i used to mod the densie/altai mics back in the 80's, a few cap changes and most people thought they sounded as good as a turner m+3b, if the mic element does not do the trick then modding the preamp is an easy way to alter tone characteristics on virtually any amplified mic, the easiest mod i ever thought of is putting tone control on a d104m6 to make them sound very much like a 575m6 instead of the castrated tincan sound the later d104's have

the easiest mod i ever thought of is putting tone control on a d104m6 to make them sound very much like a 575m6 instead of the castrated tincan sound the later d104's have

That mic mod sounds as bassy or as tinny as you like with the variable resistor.

Reactions: Holydvr
you did mack and it works great, i think you are the only one that trusts me on audio mods, the only duck with a sense of adventure lmao :shock:

bob85 said:
you did mack and it works great, i think you are the only one that trusts me on audio mods, the only duck with a sense of adventure lmao :shock:

Would'nt call myself a duck but more like a guinea pig.lol

i have the heil element in the stock president mic for the mobile. i also run a +3b on my madison. and i have a tug8 w/a dn-hz head. now i'll have to try the kobitone cartridge. if it sounds close to the dn-hz i know i will love it. thanks for the review. 73

I've tried Kobitone and I think they suck.

Run that D-104 element into a 5 meg or higher impedance THEN compare it to a Krapitone.

Reactions: Holydvr
the kobitone element works great 4 the money. u need to tape the back of it or glue it to the old cartridge, it will take away some of the tinny sound. i use about 6 of them my self and i like them.73's mark

I'd rather use a condensor electret or cheap dynamic mic than one of those Kobi tin masters.

The best communications mic frequency response wise is an undamaged D-104 run into a high impedance.

A lot of today's hams come from that other band where D-104s were sold with a rotten bipolar preamp. Those sound crummy. They need to be bulldozed and replaced with an MPF-102 or a 12AX7 with a 10 meg grid resistor.

It seems a lot of technique in radio is being lost to time.

The Kobitone isn't even in the same building as a D-104. Never will be regardless of how many times STH says it's good.

a few of us over have 25lm022's to test, looking for a cheap alternative to the astatic 575, if they sound as peaky/tinny like the response curve suggests we won't be happy,
i don't like heil hc4 or 5 they are way over rated imho

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.