• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Learning Morse Code

KingCobra_CDX882

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 30, 2005
well..

What are the best programs
and or methods for learning morse code

i remember having one that was something like

listen for dot dash dash

then a tree was under it and branched out from either next being a dot or a dash

Thanks

Well, first of all, I don't think ANYBODY can learn Morse by listening for "Dot Dash"! :D It doesn't GO "dot dash". More like Di Dah, Di Dit! I used Gordon West's tapes. Different methods seem to work for different folks! But I will tell you this: do NOT touch a sending key before learning the sounds!!! It-will-mess-you-up!!! Learn the rhythm and the way Morse [/i]sounds; it is a rhythm and a REFLEX. Check out the various methods and see what recommendations seem best for you.

CWM

When I was getting ready for the code test, I also started with the Gorden West tapes, but I struggled with it untill I ordered the "Code Quick" Program. In less than 6 weeks I was at the 13 WPM level. It might not be the best for everyone, but it worked for me.

Jeff

there was this method
told somewhere on here awhile back

in where you listen to the dits and dots
in so doing something like from 4th dit.dot down
you simply take the dits and dawts down like a family tree of the letters

this sound at all familiar ?

I recomend listening to real cw like ARRLs code practice once you have learned the basic charactors , real on the air copy is the best .You can use a straight key and oscillator ,practice sending and learning at the same time this way you can get practice on the sound of sending and spacing which is very important to learn propper spacing of sending.The key is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE YOU MUST "OVER LEARN" THE SOUNDS.WHERE EVER YOU GO THINK CODE.At the stop sigh think code and spell it in your head mentally,Everything you see think code it well come to you and you will be proud of yourself and you might get to love cw !Good luck,REMEMBER THE KEY:pRACTICE PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE .73

DE-K8PG-Paul CW LIVES :usa

Just like learning any other language, you have to be able to instantly associate a sound with its meaning. In first year Spanish, you learn "Como esta usted?" means "how are you?".

You don't hear "como", then turn in your dictionary and find that it means "how". Then you don't hear "esta", find that it's a verb meaning "to be" and then conjugate it...and so forth. You hear "como esta usted?" and instantly recognize it as the question "how are you?". You instantly form the response: "Bien, gracias."

Same way with any new language, and Morse code is nothing if not a new language. Learn the sound of "DiDah" and instantly associate it with the letter "a". And so forth.

I learned Morse code in one week with the help of my Assistant Scoutmaster, who was NOT a ham.

Well...

I did some checking around and found the program i was looking for

so i shall share it here..
seems a good way to start..

actually looks not to hard to learn in this manor
will give it a try myself..

LEARN MORSE CODE in one minute !

This is a code listening tool.
Print it on your printer.

Place your pencil where it says START and listen to morse code.

Move down and to the right every time you hear a DIT (a dot).

Move down and to the left every time you hear a DAH (a dash).

Here's an example: You hear DAH DIT DIT which is a dash then dot then dot.

You start at START and hear a DAH then move down and left to the T and then you hear a DIT so you move down
and RIGHT to the N and then you hear another DIT so you move DOWN and RIGHT again and land on the D

You then write down the letter D on your code copy paper and jump back to START waiting for your next letter.

The key to learning the code is hearing it and comprehending it while you hear it.

The only way to get there is to practice 10 minutes a day.

Listen to code tapes or computer practice code while tracing out this chart and you will find yourself writing
down the letters in no time at all without the aid of the chart.

The chart brings repetition together with recognition, which you don't get from any other type of code
practice aid.

<---dih dit--->

start

T E

M N A I

O G K D W R U S

Q Z Y C X B J P L F V H

i will re edit it when i figure how to copy it better
some reason it is not working for copy and paste

The forum automatically strips out more than one space, so your pyramid won't work unless you use some other filler.

I have seen this method used and the only way that it will work, is to run the chart with one hand and write with the other. That being said, it does nothing for: Numbers, punctuation or, prosigns.

Rich

actually it shows numbers and punctuation

i will update it later
when i find why i could not copy and paste the chart properly

it seems to me a easier way to learn
i shall find out anyways

Type it out in Notepad with courrier new or lucida console, then paste and surround with "code" tags.

Like:

Code:
                     T E 

M N A I 

O G K D W R U S 

Q Z Y C X B J P L F V H

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.