• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Level 1 Tech No Code

Mar 17, 2006
guys calls me up he is fixing to take his level 1 tech and wants to know what would be a good starter radio but with room for expansion
and antenas

A good starter radio? I am assuming that he is planning to upgrade to general class sooner or later.There are a few radios that will fit that bill,

Icom 706 depending on the age will cover 160 meter to 2 meter ,the newer ones will also add 440 mhz to that coverage.

Yeasu has the 857 and 797

Kenwood has the 2000
just to name a few

Those radios cover everything that 99% of hams will ever be using

As far as getting one of those used I would point towards the Icom 706,I see them at the local hamfests in my area for around 450$ to 650 used

Antenna....I made my own for 2 meter use,cost me under 20$ and works great

HF use...there are just to many of those to try to nail one down,it all depends on how much room the person has to get one in the air.Dipoles are easy to get in the air but in some cases require a fair bit of room because of the length.

But the best advice I could give for an antenna would be to check out the various ham radio dealers...Ham Radio Outlet,Amateur Eletronics Supply,Memphis Amateur Radio,Associated Radio ...just to name a few and see what the pocket and the property will let you do

I know there are several more options out there ,and I am sure there will be a few more folks here that will post more ideas than what I have.... but there is a decent starting point

he just kinda wants aballpark on a startup system
and yes hes working on the general as well

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.