1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Longest Power On?

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Peter Walker, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Peter Walker

Peter Walker W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I was wondering what is the longest time any of you have ever left your radio on? I set mine up to scan the 10 Meter frequencies that I can talk on as a Technician and was wondering if there is some general guideline that should be followed as far as how long a radio should be left on.

2. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

Scanning on 10? SSB? You have to have your squelch up to scan. If you do that you'll a miss a LOT of smaller signals out there.

You can leave your radio on all you want. That's what it's made for. To turn on and use.

Good luck

3. KE3W

KE3W Active Member

[​IMG] If you are going to leave that puppy on all the time - you better make sure it has plenty of air circulation around it (vs stuck between rigs, books, etc.).

4. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

I think with most electronics your just as well off to turn them on and leave them on.

5. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

With twin, temp controlled cooling fans and almost 40 cubic inches of die cast heat sink the FT-897 is very well adept at staying cool.
    One of the reason`s i bought the 897 vs the 857.
    I do not think heat will be an issue.

Jeff

6. kd-5-bgt

kd-5-bgt W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I used to have a Siltronix 1011D. When I brought it home, hooked it up and finally turned it on...it stayed on till I sold it ...the only time it would get shut down was during thunderstorms or when I would be gone from house for a few days..

I am currently running an Icom 736...and I have left it on for days at a time for one reason or another with no ill effects that I can tell....Just be sure you have a good air flow around radio

7. Blue Jay

Blue Jay W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I have an Icom 2720 that is on 24/7 365 with an small beam antenna in the attic, also our club repeater's are a pair of Alnco they are also on 24/7 365