• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Longest Power On?

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I was wondering what is the longest time any of you have ever left your radio on? I set mine up to scan the 10 Meter frequencies that I can talk on as a Technician and was wondering if there is some general guideline that should be followed as far as how long a radio should be left on.

Scanning on 10? SSB? You have to have your squelch up to scan. If you do that you'll a miss a LOT of smaller signals out there.

You can leave your radio on all you want. That's what it's made for. To turn on and use.

Good luck

pappy.gif
If you are going to leave that puppy on all the time - you better make sure it has plenty of air circulation around it (vs stuck between rigs, books, etc.).

With twin, temp controlled cooling fans and almost 40 cubic inches of die cast heat sink the FT-897 is very well adept at staying cool.
One of the reason`s i bought the 897 vs the 857.
I do not think heat will be an issue.

Jeff

I used to have a Siltronix 1011D. When I brought it home, hooked it up and finally turned it on...it stayed on till I sold it ...the only time it would get shut down was during thunderstorms or when I would be gone from house for a few days..

I am currently running an Icom 736...and I have left it on for days at a time for one reason or another with no ill effects that I can tell....Just be sure you have a good air flow around radio

I have an Icom 2720 that is on 24/7 365 with an small beam antenna in the attic, also our club repeater's are a pair of Alnco they are also on 24/7 365

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.