• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking to buy a Laptop

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I'm looking to buy a Laptop and was wondering if there is anything specific or any special features I should look for in one when considering using it for Amateur Radio.

How so? I'm looking for something to work digital modes and possibly run Ham Radio Deluxe? Is there something I'm missing?

Go to Cnet or Computerworld or any of the on-line computer related magazines and read the reviews.
Get a windows 7 unit with as much memory as you can afford.
I personally am using a 3 year old Lenovo with 3GB RAM runing W7PRO.
Does everything I need or want to do.

I'm wanting to get something from BestBuy because I have a credit account with them. I was looking earlier and found a CAT to USB cable for my radio so I suppose any decent laptop will do. Thanks for the info pro151. I would like to get into digital as well as attempt to learn morse code.

Wow! Just looked at Best Buy's site and you have got a large selection to choose from. I would suggest selecting by the price range you are wanting to pay then read the reviews on the models in your range.
Bear in mind that whatever you order today will be obsolete and out of date tomorrow. :D

I picked up a laptop at Christmas just for that very purpose as well as general computing. I got a decent deal on a 17 inch display Toshiba Satellite L675 with Windows 7. It has 4 Gb of RAM and seems to do whatever I want it to do and does it pretty fast. I'm happy with it.

Windows 7? highly overrated

Attachments

• osborne1.jpg
    osborne1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 168
Everyone does not embrace Linux. I have run it, am currently running it on another PC, but enjoy the convenience of the Windows OS.

There is no it in Linux.

No I in team.

No good natured in your post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.