• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

Low Dead Key Realistic TRC 447

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
This particular radio has no built-in feature for this. The add-on variable-carrier kits sold for Cobra 29 type radios will work on this one.

But only if the tech that does the install can work out the instructions for him/herself. The schematic diagram for that radio is on CB Tricks.

But there is no convenient wire jumper that can be removed from the circuit board and replaced with a carrier-control circuit.

As a rule, this involves cutting a gap in one copper foil trace on the circuit board, and hooking it to each side (the right side) of the cut.

There might be a detailed "how-2" for this online somewhere. Never have looked for it.

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
A single final radio into a 10 pill doesn't need the dead key lowered unless you are going to use a driver.
That's interesting. My friend is the original owner of this four-watt dead-key TRC 447 and the cover has never been removed and it works great. We do not have any knowledge with radios / electronics.
We can connect it to a two-pill or ten-pill and see what happens because he would like to use it for DXng but on AM only because both amps do not have the SSB delay. Would a four-watt dead-key drive the ten-pill?

Apr 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
That's interesting. My friend is the original owner of this four-watt dead-key TRC 447 and the cover has never been removed and it works great. We do not have any knowledge with radios / electronics.
We can connect it to a two-pill or ten-pill and see what happens because he would like to use it for DXng but on AM only because both amps do not have the SSB delay. Would a four-watt dead-key drive the ten-pill?
With the two pill I would lower the deadkey, but if you are going to drive the 10 pill with only the radio, and NEVER the 2 pill in line as a driver, than leave the radio alone.
Personally I would want something with a variable power on the radio and use the 2 pill as a driver for the 10 pill as the radio drive alone will never reach the full potential of that amp.

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
With the two pill I would lower the deadkey, but if you are going to drive the 10 pill with only the radio, and NEVER the 2 pill in line as a driver, than leave the radio alone.
Personally I would want something with a variable power on the radio and use the 2 pill as a driver for the 10 pill as the radio drive alone will never reach the full potential of that amp.
A few minutes ago I experimented with my 2980 connected to the ten-pill. I reduced the dead-key down to 4-watts and as I expected, it barely had enough oomph to run the ten pill. I am assuming I would get similar results with the TRC 447. Oh well........nothing gained......nothing lost.
I appreciate the replies and suggestions from everyone.

Reactions: 999

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
  • @ kb9ghn:
    My first thought was the i.r.s. may be interested in a long term money making scam without proper taxes being paid..probably more than electronics involved.
  • @ Toll_Free:
    My first thought was why hasn't someone paid him a visit. I mean, his address is posted above.
  • @ beakster1715:
    Good news! I opened an appeal case after eBay sided with superhawkwss6. I also opened an IC3 case & sent that information to eBay. Within an hour they responded, reversed their decision and returned all of my money. Unfortunately, superhawkwss6 stole my CB radio and eBay will likely not suspend or close his account, but rather allow him to continue his criminal activity. I think I'll still file a report with our sheriff's dept (the sheriff is a friend of mine) though I know this type of crime isn't worth their time. This guy needs to be stopped and I'm certainly going to do my best to make that happen.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good Evening!