• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 3 element

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
I would like to get some input on a Maco 103c 3 element beam. I plan on using it on 10m and from what i'v read there's no problem tuning for 10m. And the price is right. And at 16 pounds there should be no problem using small rotor. What about constrution and durability? The winds here are average to above average on occasions. Antenna will be mounted at 35 ft. Also where is a good place to buy from,i'm in Nevada so shipping is aslo a concern. TIA

73' novakor

Given the size of 10 meters, I think I'd expect something around a 1/3 of the band, sort of. Depends entirely on what you call 'usable bandwidth' with 'acceptable' SWR.
- 'Doc

I'm in a fairly high wind zone too! Just above of Texas, and hot air always goes up... right??

the maco should show an SWR of less then 1.6:1 from 28-29 mhz. don't remember where it was best on the 259, but with a 2:1 bandwidth of nearly 2 mhz, you can play with it & get it to cover 10 & 11 meters without a tuner fairly efficiently. just play with lengths & gamma adjustments til you get R & X where you'd prefer them based on equipment run & power levels used. i'd set one for 11m use because i have the ability to run an amp that would prefer better SWR at 27.025, and on 28.4 i can run a 746 pro with 1.8:1 swr and little if any cut back in power. the more civilized use of 10 meters doesn't require big watts as does getting your name called on the bowl. 3+ db gain puts you ahead of newcomers to 10m using their A99's & what not. of course if you plan on only 10m, center it around 28.41 for SSB, or just under 29 if you plan on any FM. it'll be just fine. the 4 element maco has considerably less 2:1 bandwidth, maybe less then 1.3 mhz.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated