• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 8 element flat side vs. Joegunn audio 8

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
with all being said about the antenna increasing audio :roll: do the 8 element macos perform a well as the joegunn 8's i see tha joegunn over in does it with the gain figures but outside of over all construction is the joegunn worth an extra almost $600.00 more and with both beams being 8 element would they not perform the same. also if there are any joegunn 8 users here what have you compaired them too. :?:

The JoGunn is like the Gizmotchy. Because of the extra element, I expect the these two antennas to have a slight advantage over the Maco.

But for MY money, I'd go with the Maco!!!! I'm not cheap, but I'm not stupid either!

Reactions: William G Ransom
Master Chief said:
The JoGunn is like the Gizmotchy. Because of the extra element, I expect the these two antennas to have a slight advantage over the Maco.

But for MY money, I'd go with the Maco!!!! I'm not cheap, but I'm not stupid either!

When you say "Because of the extra element,...." do you mean the Maco having an extra vertical element makes it somewhat inferior to the Giz and the JG?

I would think the opposite to be more likely. Seems to me that both the Gizmotchy and the Joe Gunn are more compromised in design when compared to the more traditional Maco flat 8. I would also think that both may in fact show a bit less effectivness in operations. I am a bit surprised at your contention here, am I wrong?

Master Chief said:

i know joegunn makes a star series thats like the gizmothcy thats up to 8 elements that has a vertical & horizontal a design isee few people use. i was questioning the super audio flat 8 joegunn horizontal beam VS. the Maco flat 8. would they both perform the same. joegunn bost twice the gain factor but with them both being 8 element would the gain and perfomance be same. i know guys that do run the joegunn audio 8's and they really get there name called a lot i am in maryland and i know guys that are in NJ.CT.TX.& GAthat run the joegunn 8's and it seem like i always hear people out in DX land calling for those guys and holdin a good long conversation was just woundering are the joegunns tha that good or with both being 8 element will the macos do the same. is joegunn playing on ignorance with high gain figures and false claims of extra audio gain.

radioreddz said:
Master Chief said:

i know joegunn makes a star series thats like the gizmothcy thats up to 8 elements that has a vertical & horizontal a design isee few people use. i was questioning the super audio flat 8 joegunn horizontal beam VS. the Maco flat 8. would they both perform the same. joegunn bost twice the gain factor but with them both being 8 element would the gain and perfomance be same. i know guys that do run the joegunn audio 8's and they really get there name called a lot i am in maryland and i know guys that are in NJ.CT.TX.& GAthat run the joegunn 8's and it seem like i always hear people out in DX land calling for those guys and holdin a good long conversation was just woundering are the joegunns tha that good or with both being 8 element will the macos do the same.

is joegunn playing on ignorance with high gain figures and false claims of extra audio gain.

Yes,Yes @ Yes

Regards,

radioreddz,
'They' may boast twice the gain, but that's advertising, not fact. Unless what ever it's being compared to is really, really junk. (Don't think that applies here.) To get twice the gain from similar type antennas you almost have to make the antenna 4 - 6 times the size of whatever it's being compared to. It's a loosing proposition considering the band it's being used on and it's original size.
Can't recommend either, never had one of each.
- 'Doc

[I have a problem with any manufacturer who uses 'audio' in an antenna's name. Antennas just have absolutely nothing to do with audio in any way. I may be 'gullible', but I ain't that gullible!]

The only advantage you get with the Jogunn is the strength of the antenna. Jogunns are built like tanks, they are overbuilt, IMO. But some people need that due to weather extremes. Otherwise, the Maco will do just as well RF-wise.

W5LZ said:
radioreddz,
'They' may boast twice the gain, but that's advertising, not fact. Unless what ever it's being compared to is really, really junk. (Don't think that applies here.) To get twice the gain from similar type antennas you almost have to make the antenna 4 - 6 times the size of whatever it's being compared to. It's a loosing proposition considering the band it's being used on and it's original size.
Can't recommend either, never had one of each.
- 'Doc

[I have a problem with any manufacturer who uses 'audio' in an antenna's name. Antennas just have absolutely nothing to do with audio in any way. I may be 'gullible', but I ain't that gullible!]
i totaly agree about the inflated gains i was just woundring if the 8 element maco will perform the same. i do know for fact that the joegunn 8 element flat does work guys i know all over the country seem to always be called during dx. they are built like tanks and are really pricey has anybody used both to compair? in fact looking at the maco 8 the boom is actualy 3' longer @ 40' compaired to the 37' of the joegunn 8. i guese it really is the ignorance factor they are playing on to get that kind of money. just was woundering the justification of that price

I sort of think you had the reason for the price pretty close, 'ignorance factor'. Not that the buyer won't be cured of that very quickly when he finds out what else would be required to get the thingy in the air! As in the size of the tower, rotor, guying, etc, etc. Hopefully, he does that 'shopping' for other stuff before buying the antenna.
Why is stuff costing more now than before? Economics, inflation, manufacturers being held responsible for things the buyer should be responsible for, and because they -can-!
- 'Doc

radioreddz said:
I was questioning the super audio flat 8 Jo-Gunn horizontal beam VS. the Maco flat 8.
Thanks for the clarification. The Super Audio Series is just your average, heavy duty, regular beam, with a marketing campaign behind it. "These antennas will handle a standard of 12 KW and have extremely high levels of audio." ha ha ha! I believe the 12KW rating however.

radioreddz said:
looking at the Maco 8 the boom is actually 3' longer @ 40' compared to the 37' of the Jo-Gunn 8. I guess it really is the ignorance factor they are playing on to get that kind of money. Just was wondering the justification of that price.
The Jo-Gunn antennas use double and triple wall construction. This means it has at least twice as many aluminum tubes as the Maco. This is why it is heavier and cost more......and also why it will survive higher winds.

FJR Predator said:
What are the links to these antenna companies.
It would be very easy for me to post the websites for Maco and Jo-Gunn, but Good God Man, have you ever tried Google?!

Master Chief said:
FJR Predator said:
What are the links to these antenna companies.
It would be very easy for me to post the websites for Maco and Jo-Gunn, but Good God Man, have you ever tried Google?!

As I siad in my PM. I have no problem searching the net for things I'm looking for. I don't like the fact that you often have to sort through a lot of bulllshit to find it. I thought maybe you or someone else already had the link saved and could direct me straight to it. The reason that I and others join forums like this is to learn and share information and experiences you may not find searching Google. I might be new to this forum but I'm not new to forums. As you said it would have been easy for you to post it. It would have taken less space than your unwanted comments.

Thanks for your input. PEACE and have a good day.!!!

And as I said in MY reply to your PM, since you took the time to post it publicly......

Hello Mel,

The problem we experience here......quite often I might add......is that people want us to do all the work for them. Next week a new guy comes to town and it's the same thing....then the week after that, and the week after that...

So wade through the Google stuff, just like the rest of us. Typing in "Jo-Gunn Antennas" or "Maco Antennas" is easy and the results are on the top of the first page!

See:
http://www.google.com/search?q=maco...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...fficial&hs=Rns&q=Jo-Gunn+Antennas&btnG=Search

I won't do with laziness! If then, you have a genuine question, feel free to ask! There are a number of people who are more than willing to help!

FJR Predator said:
What are the links to these antenna companies. I'll be needing a good beam when I setup my base. I don't know if I'll have room for a 40 footer though.
www.jogunn.com. I know what you mean about the uneccessary comments when someone asks a question. Anyway I am also in the process of putting up a 40' Universal Tower, and a Jo gunn 4 element star series. I am willing to pay the extra price for the jo gunn to get the build quality and strength. If you are able to talk to some of the big operator on the Super Bowl most of them say they run the Jo gunn super audio flat sides.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?