• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Major re-arrangement of radios....

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
To start with, I wasn't all that happy with the installation of my 2 meter radio in the Jeep Liberty. When I did this my main concern was to "not" drill any holes through the body since this vehicle is only a couple years old. Because of this approach the antenna was mounted up front, low, and without any real ground plane from the vehicle's body. Then I mounted the FT-2800M to the center consul where it took my eyes off the road to make any adjustments.

Today I re-mounted the antenna high up on the rear side panel, ran new coax to the front, and up to the dash board. Took my IC-2200H out of the shack, and mounted it up on the dash where it's right in front of me, but doesn't interfere with my line of sight over the front hood, and mounted my cube extension speaker next to it so it's damn near right in my face so I can clearly hear it over road noise.

This has not only made a major improvement to my mobile 2 meter operating, but is also the first step in making room for a new ID-880H for the shack.
The FT-2800M will temporarily take the place of the IC-2200H as my shack 2 meter until I do get the 880H, then it will be up for sale to help finance the 880H.

So if anybody needs a solid flame thrower of a 2 meter radio, this thing is less than a year old, works excellent, and has more power than you'll ever need. Got the original box, book, and mic........

Take some pics of the new setup and let us see! It really does help give others ideas for mobile installs, plus...

..we all know people read the forum for the pictures ;)

The biggest disadvantage of dash mounting is heat. Next is thievery.

Alot of newer vehicles have very limited area for radios.

I had to mount a dual bander in my Jeep Grand Cherokee like that. You can't put any kind of heat shield on it due to reflection on the windshield. The black radio gets very hot.

As far as drilling goes, that's an advantage of having older vehicles. I don't care. My GMC Jimmy is 21 years old and teh Jeep is 13. I didn't pay 1500$ for both. lol

I'm not too concerned about thievery since I rarely go or park in areas that would concern me. Even then it wasn't like they couldn't see the other radio where it was...

Heat through the windshield is a concern, and the reason I didn't want to mount the FT-2800 there, but I'm looking to come up with something I can drape over the radio to help protect it from direct sunlight......

Photo's to come shortly Mole.....

A Photographic assay on my recent mobile install...

As requested, I'm giving our readers a photographic journey through my 2005 Jeep Liberty, and the new re-installation of my mobile 2 meter radio.

After removing the Yaesu FT-2800M, and relocating the Metz 2 meter coil loaded antenna, these photo's represent the newest version of my amateur mobile operations.....

We'll start our journey with the antenna......
2200MobileInstall006.jpg

A view from the front left side of the Metz 2 Meter coil loaded antenna mounted on a stainless steel "L" bracket.
2200MobileInstall001.jpg

Now a view of the antenna from the left rear of the Jeep.....
2200MobileInstall007.jpg

A closer view of the antenna mounting. You can see how I adapted some marine hardware for use in this installation....
2200MobileInstall003.jpg

A full view of the radio installation from the back of the Jeep.....
2200MobileInstall004.jpg

A closer view of the IC-2200H on the dash.....
2200MobileInstall005.jpg

This last photo is a view of it from the driver's seat, this is how I see the radio while driving....

I hope you all have enjoyed this little journey through my Jeep Liberty, and recent 2 meter amateur radio and antenna installation. All rights reserved, reprinting of these photos by permission of the author, not responsible for injuries associated with your attempts to replicate this radio installation. Your mileage may vary. Call now because we can't do this all day......:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.