• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maverick

packrat

Sep 24, 2008
S.W. Florida
Hello all,

I need some help With an amp I got in a trade deal. It is a D&A Maverick Dual Power 4 band amp. Cant find any info on the web, only the grey Maverick 250. This is a tan front with a brown case like the bigger amps, and has a switch for 10, 15, 20 and 40 meters. It is an 8 tuber, with 4 6JT6a's driving 4 6LQ6's. Can it actuually be used on those bands or is it strictly a 11 meter amp? Drive? Output?
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PR

if it has a band switch then yes it can be used on those bands .
they like a 4 watt input with no more than 50 peak swing .
output with good tubes is near 1000 watts peak or 400-500 rms watts.

i have a copy of the maverick manual that gives some specs and tuning info .
drop me your email in a pm and i can send it to you later tonight.

I have one of these that looked like it had been dragged by a horse across town.

I bulldozed the driver section and made it into a 6 holer 6LQ6 monobander. It works pretty well.

Is the band switch actually connected to anything? I have seen "ham band" amplifiers that had absolutely nothing connected to the single wafer switch! :wallbash:

Beetle,

Thanks for the reply. I just took a look at the band switch, honestly didnt know the answer, but yes, it is hooked up. It has 4 connections to different parts of what I believe to be the tank coil. Heavy connections at that. Hope this is a good thing, and appreciate any info.

PR

Beetle,

Thanks for the reply. I just took a look at the band switch, honestly didnt know the answer, but yes, it is hooked up. It has 4 connections to different parts of what I believe to be the tank coil. Heavy connections at that. Hope this is a good thing, and appreciate any info.

PR
yes that means it can be used on those bands then .output will vary from band to band with 10 meters probably producing the most power out.

Almost as bad. Just connected to the tank coil, but with nothing as far as bandpass filters (so if you switch to 20M, the output will cut off below 14.000 and above 14.350) - that's not a good sign. Of course, this filtering would cost a LOT to actually install, and since this "amplifier" will most likely only be used on 11M anyway, why bother? :eek:

Thats what I kinda figured, too. I will probably have to sell it to someone who will actually use it on 11m, and buy a SB200 or SB220 for myself. That is what I really want anyway.

PR

This is a tube amp. It doesn't need a bandpass filter. The Pi-net is bandpass. Same for almost every hambone tube linear commercially sold.

Reactions: n8fgb
HIDEF,

That is what I thought. All the hf tube amps I have seen have been the same way, even the ones posted on the Dayton pics here. I am just not too sure about the low drive of 4 watts from an hf rig. QRP rig maybe.:bored:

PR

HIDEF,

That is what I thought. All the hf tube amps I have seen have been the same way, even the ones posted on the Dayton pics here. I am just not too sure about the low drive of 4 watts from an hf rig. QRP rig maybe.:bored:

PR

That's why you bulldoze the driver section. It isn't needed. The power supply is pretty good. Some driver tube sockets can be reused for more tOObs in parallel with the output stage.

Marverick 250

if it has a band switch then yes it can be used on those bands .
they like a 4 watt input with no more than 50 peak swing .
output with good tubes is near 1000 watts peak or 400-500 rms watts.

i have a copy of the maverick manual that gives some specs and tuning info .
drop me your email in a pm and i can send it to you later tonight.

I have one of these and is in good shape, would I be able to get a copy of the manual. Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated