• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Messenger M4V Best Operating Voltage?

kd4e

Jun 24, 2008
What is the best operating voltage for a Messenger M4V?

Mine has eight MRF-455's in the output instead of the 1446's.

I have seen references from 12V to 17V, 17V seems too high. I am not as concerned with absolute maximum output as I am to protect the amp and to use the highest safe voltage in order to keep the current down some.

I need to decide to either use several large deep-cycle batteries with a float charger or get a large AC-DC power supply.

Also, if/when I use this mobile what secondary battery and other modifications should I make to my 1996 Chevy 1500 van to handle this amp? Upgraded alternator?

Thanks! doc

What is the best operating voltage for a Messenger M4V?

Mine has eight MRF-455's in the output instead of the 1446's.

I have seen references from 12V to 17V, 17V seems too high. I am not as concerned with absolute maximum output as I am to protect the amp and to use the highest safe voltage in order to keep the current down some.

I need to decide to either use several large deep-cycle batteries with a float charger or get a large AC-DC power supply.

Also, if/when I use this mobile what secondary battery and other modifications should I make to my 1996 Chevy 1500 van to handle this amp? Upgraded alternator?

Thanks! doc
13.8 volts, you might add another battery if you like and an alternator capable of supplying atleast 120 amps.

So even base where a higher operating voltage would be convenient 13.8 is optimum?

OK re. the extra battery (perhaps an Optima or Deka deep-cycle?

OK re. the 120A alternator - is that commonly available or what I have heard referred to as an "ambulance alternator"?

My instructions sheet that came with my m4v only states a voltage of at least 13.8 volts minim, it doesn't state a Maxim voltage. I have run mine with as much as 16-17 volts. By running at this level I only seen about a 50w increase, it's safer to run it at 14-15 volts on a regular bases.

13.8 minimum, hmmmm, I wonder if that is due to current-handling capacity? (Lower voltage = higher current.)

I am wondering as the Motorola Spec Sheet shows 12.5V as the test voltage.

Right now I am planning a US Battery US 12V XC 155aH (75A for 77min) with a 25A float charge.

Perhaps I should add a big Farad cap to keep the voltage from sagging on peaks?

i have an old m4v with 455's, they use a crude bias circuit which runs hard into class ab, not as crappy as the texas star biasing but its basic with no regulation,
early versions do have thermal tracking, later ones dont even have the tracking to help keep idle current under control,
mine pulled 9 amps of idle current and got hot with no rf through the amp,

running a stock m4v at higher than stock supply volts is asking for cooked transistors.

Sounds like 13.8V is about right then.

Have you made any mods to improve the bias circuit that you could share, please?

Any other improvements?

I presume that some of the combiner-splitter and transformers may need to be replaced in order to improve efficiency - yes?

I am hoping for 40-10M, dreaming of 80-10, 160-10, or even 160-6M ... WDYT?

i removed one of the parallel dropping resistors in the bias circuit to lower idle current to 1 amp, bit of a bodge but it still sounds decent on ssb and runs much cooler,
no other modifications, it deadkeys around 620w fm with 10w drive on the bird or lp-100 meter using whatever voltage the stock 90amp alt can provide, thats more than enough for 8 mrf455's imho.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]I just read this description about the [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Metron MA-1000 amp:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"A high speed 75 Amp Magnetic Circuit Breaker protects against short circuits, overdrive, and mismatched antennas. A protective diode will not allow the amp to operate if the supply polarity is accidentally reversed. A 75 degree thermostat mounted on the heatsink will switch off the amp if the temperature becomes excessive."

I have not yet received my M4V - are any of these features in the M4V?

If not do you see a way that they may be added?
[/FONT]

the m4v has 3 reverse polarity diodes, no thermal switch and no vswr/overdrive protection,

a thermal switch bolts to the heatsink and wires in series with the on/off switch, simple enough if you dont mind making a hole in the board,

overdrive and vswr protection would be a squeeze but it could be added, theres not much room to fit a vswr bridge between the relay board and the output filter, you would also need a suitable circuit and know what you were doing with it.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]I am guessing that the "high speed 75 Amp Magnetic Circuit Breaker" is sensing current surges and is tripping - an alternative to a superior but more complex VSWR sensing circuit.

WDYT?

I will also need to do something about band-switch filters.
[/FONT]

Not sure if anybody mentioned it before but the m4v schematic is not drawn correctly,
vcc & bias supplies are shown connected to the wrong side of the transformers & shorted to ground,

i have not looked for other issues.

The messenger in the schematic is not the same amp by a long shot . Thanks just the same .I already have that one. Too many components are different.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated