• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-868 Giant meter review

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
I purchased the new MFJ-868 Giant HF pwr/swr meter at the Bedford, IN Hamfest couple weeks back.
I have found it very nicely fits my shack. The scale is a GIANT...very easy to read and seems to read very smoothly. The controls and push buttons seem to operate well. The back lighting for the meter is good and useful for operating in low lighting (which I do most times).
I also like the 20 watt power scale for Qrp use as the 5 watt reading is about 1/2 scale in that position.
I have only found the overall weight of the meter to be a negative...The size vs. weight is somewhat misleading. I expected the meter to weight much more due to overall size...but the unit is very light and I have to rest a finger on top when turning the unit on or changing a button position to keep it from sliding on the slick oak top on my operating bench...maybe adding some cork or bigger profile feet would do the trick...but overall a good purchase.
I purchased it from Dan(great guy) from THE HAM STATION in Evansville, IN for $138.00 including(7%) Tax.
MFSR is 159.95...so good buy I thought.(y)
All the Best
BJ

BJ,
I got one too. It works well, not 'lab' quality, but then so what. I can SEE the @#$ thing! Which is why I got it. I also found that it could use some additional weight. Not because the surfaces in the shack are that slick, or clean, but the feet sort of slide in the dust, kind'a. Just happened to have a bag of 'bird-shot' (another hobby, no, not guns, but got that one too). Made a 'plate' that fit between the feet on the meter, glued it on. Don't slip no more. (Technical term is 'ballast', as in boats, epoxy and 'shot' in a appropriately shaped container = 'plate'. Don't use 'Gorilla' glue, that stuff expands and you wouldn't believe the mess (ask me how I know that)!)
- 'Doc

Getting a meter to stay where you want it can be a real pain sometimes. What I have done in the past is remove the feet from the meter, then apply a piece of velcro to the bottom of the meter and the other side to the bench. It will hold the meter firmly in place and is easily removal. You can also use 3M double sided tape, but it takes a little more elbow grease to remove the residue it leaves behind.

I picked one up used for $60, I thought that was a great deal. It seems to be very acurate and the needle swing on average power is much smoother than I expected. I used 3 small squares of 3m double sided trim tape and it sits on top of my amp just fine. The weight of the coax could be an issue if your not careful and have the lines supported.

Probably one of the better MFJ products for sure.

Craig

I like mine aswell and deffinately no strain with these nad eyeballs as far as seeing the meter all in all I like it and have no trouble with any of my MFJ equipment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.