• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Microphone for Kenwood TS50

ZuMBLe

Oct 15, 2010
Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement mic for the TS50? The Heil HMM looks good but I can't find one for sale anywhere.

The Heil HMM series was discontinued and replaced by the HM series so they say. The HM series contains both the HC-4 and HC-5 elements but is a completely different case style, more like a studio mike than a mobile microphone.

I've never used the studio style mic, I don't think I'd like it. =( I would rather have the mobile mic style. I'm probably going to be picking up a MC60A soon as a base mic.

The Heil HMM series was discontinued and replaced by the HM series so they say. The HM series contains both the HC-4 and HC-5 elements but is a completely different case style, more like a studio mike than a mobile microphone.

And then you have the option of using whichever microphone you like and changing the cartridge in it to almost any other that you think is better. Did that with a Heil HC-5 quite a few times (and once an MC-50). I also found that the MC-43 worked just fine (the standard Kenwood hand mic, or the one that comes with the TS-50 with the 4 buttons). Finally ended up using the TS-50 in the house with a headset (home made with a Heil cartridge). I think Heil still makes an adapter to hold his cartridges in a 'D-104'. Whatever 'grabs' you...
- 'Doc

My main reason for wanting a new mic is to drive the TS50 a bit harder without opening it up. It only peaks out at about 85 watts on 10 meters with the stock mic on SSB.

I had a Heil element in my D104 yeeeears ago.. (y) I preferred the 10DAL head to the D104 with the Heil element in it though.

And then you have the option of using whichever microphone you like and changing the cartridge in it to almost any other that you think is better. Did that with a Heil HC-5 quite a few times (and once an MC-50). I also found that the MC-43 worked just fine (the standard Kenwood hand mic, or the one that comes with the TS-50 with the 4 buttons). Finally ended up using the TS-50 in the house with a headset (home made with a Heil cartridge). I think Heil still makes an adapter to hold his cartridges in a 'D-104'. Whatever 'grabs' you...
- 'Doc

Ive tried different mics and the stock one always seem to get the better reports. The problem is the 2 position either High (H) or Low (L) setting for audio my TS-50 shows about 125-130 watts on average and 140-150 watts pep on a true peak reading meter I run mine on the medium setting which is about 50 watts average and about 80 watts on peak reading.

The audio in mine needs to be turned down because AM is so touchy you have to talk about 12 inches from the mic and with normal tone.

My main reason for wanting a new mic is to drive the TS50 a bit harder without opening it up. It only peaks out at about 85 watts on 10 meters with the stock mic on SSB.

I had a Heil element in my D104 yeeeears ago.. (y) I preferred the 10DAL head to the D104 with the Heil element in it though.

What kind of meter are you using to measure the power output? A normal average reading meter (or a so-called peak meter that does not require a power source) will not read anywhere near 100 watts when in fact the radio is actually producing 100 watts pep. Most radios only show 30-60 watts on an average reading meter, depending on the individual's voice characteristics, when they put out 100 watts pep. if you are using an average reading meter then your radio is already being driven plenty hard. (likely too hard)

Some thoughts . . .
Since you have Kenwood; have you considered going with a W2IHY mic preamp/noise gate/EQ/compressor? That - and a MXL V67 mic would blow the doors off anything else - IMO.
;)

Kenwoods do have that great audio RX and TX - after all . . .

I'm using a Astatic 600, should I be trusting the readings?

Very interesting info (as usual)... But if I go by what you say, how will I justify a shiny new toy?? :love: JK... Definitely good info. I should focus more on my antenna issues. :unsure:

What kind of meter are you using to measure the power output? A normal average reading meter (or a so-called peak meter that does not require a power source) will not read anywhere near 100 watts when in fact the radio is actually producing 100 watts pep. Most radios only show 30-60 watts on an average reading meter, depending on the individual's voice characteristics, when they put out 100 watts pep. if you are using an average reading meter then your radio is already being driven plenty hard. (likely too hard)

Wow you don't play around! Haha. I would love to have a setup like that if I had the space, but I don't. ;)

Some thoughts . . .
Since you have Kenwood; have you considered going with a W2IHY mic preamp/noise gate/EQ/compressor? That - and a MXL V67 mic would blow the doors off anything else - IMO.
;)

Kenwoods do have that great audio RX and TX - after all . . .

I'm using a Astatic 600, should I be trusting the readings?

Very interesting info (as usual)... But if I go by what you say, how will I justify a shiny new toy?? :love: JK... Definitely good info. I should focus more on my antenna issues. :unsure:

Somebody correct me here but isn't the Astatic 600 an average meter with a passive capacitor circuit for peak measurements? The power supply is simply for the meter lamps? If so then the RF power output is higher than what the meter is reading even when the meter is on the peak setting. In fact 85 watts sounds a bit too high and I suspect you are peaking over 100 watts easily. I have a much more expensive meter than the 600 and it has the same old crappy-feel-good kind of sampling circuit and my 100 watt radio shows about 70-80 watts on the meter but 100-110 on an oscilloscope.

You are correct, the power supply is only for the lamps. I guess I'll be leaving the radio alone then. =)

Somebody correct me here but isn't the Astatic 600 an average meter with a passive capacitor circuit for peak measurements? The power supply is simply for the meter lamps? If so then the RF power output is higher than what the meter is reading even when the meter is on the peak setting. In fact 85 watts sounds a bit too high and I suspect you are peaking over 100 watts easily. I have a much more expensive meter than the 600 and it has the same old crappy-feel-good kind of sampling circuit and my 100 watt radio shows about 70-80 watts on the meter but 100-110 on an oscilloscope.

Most of these meters are either close or way off + or - some people get confused with the understanding of a true peak reading meter needing a power source to run the (TRUE PEAK READING) circuitry.

Its way to often where people assume that what they have is a tru peak reading meter because there is a AVG/PEAK switch and a power cube transformer or 12 volt socket in the back which is indeed for lights and or built in frequency counter that some meters have which I own one of the Dosy TFC-3001 models with the lights and frequency counter.

If you have a True Peak reading meter it will be described as that and will usually tell you in the instraunction or owners manual along in the sales specs when looking at it before purchase. The meter I have has the choice of plugging it into the wall or theres also a 9 Volt battery hookup inside the unit itself that powers the Peak reading circuitry.

Most meters have the AVG/PEP setting because when using SSB that PEP or Peak switch position changes the meter movement for SSB because SSB is audio driven and the meter moves rapidly and makes trying to read ssb a pain in the @$$ you will notice that at times the PEP setting will show you more power out because of the more stable or steady meter flow or movement.

Most manual will explain this when reading them. Alot of people do not believe in the True Peak Reading hype and dont care about it I think its interesting sometimes to look at but for the most part I use standard AVG/PEP meters and if I get curious Ill hook up my Peak reader to see whats happening.

Ill be honest and tell you that on most of my Ham setups I use the Micronta / Radio shack 2000 watt SWR power meter which are pretty damn accurate as far as your true average. I own several meters and have had several others and I run my Radio Shack meters mostly but do run a Dosy TC-4002-PSW on a 10 - 12 meter setup because of the built in antenna switch for my beam.

ts-50 microphone

Google W2ENY and check out his e-bay store,he makes a very nice deskmike for the Kenwood radios,my friend runs one on his ts570 and 690,both radios sound great,they get their power from the radio and are ready to go,under 50 bucks also,he has a bunch of accessorys for all kinds of radios,he also makes up headsets for hf rigs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated