• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 77-882 40 Channel Radio

C

Chuckybrown

I just bought one of these in Mint condition as a second radio. Can these be modified for extra channels? Or, did these actually use crystals?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chucky

</p>

I have one I bought brand new in 1977. They can be modified to go 30 channels above 40 and 53 channels below channel 1. Frequency coverage goes from 26.435 to 27.705 with total conversion. All that is needed is 2 switches for modification and a few wires and modification to the pll ic chip. The radio needs to be broadbanded by some slight tuning of the vco to get total channel coverage. Also you need to figure whether you want to talk more above 40 or below 1 since the limitations of the radio prevent full power on both high channels and low channels at same time. I have my radio tuned for the lower channels since the high ones are mostly for sideband. I can talk on all the band but I get high power on lower channels than I do the higher ones. I talk on 26.915 and 26.895 a lot and I get a dead key of 5 watts down there but only get a 2 watt dead key on 27.705. Hope this answers your question on a midland 77-882 mobile.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.