• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 78-976 PTBM059COX - TX Issues

wcsd106

Nov 19, 2009
Last week I picked up a Midland 78-976 40 Channel AM/SSB Cybernet base station on Ebay in "unknown" condition.

It arrived a couple of days ago and when I started testing it, I found that the receive was working well, but I had no transmit.

I was able to cross-reference it with the 79-892 Midland. Sams #180. I don't have the Sams manual yet, but I've been trying to determine why I am not getting any output wattage.

When I test the radio, I originally saw no power out on my Watt meter (Not the internal S/RF Meter) but my frequency counter was showing it on the correct frequency during testing.

I started going over the schematic and testing my transistor voltages. Both the final and the driver have the correct collector voltage during RX (13.8v) but on transmit the voltage is only dropping down to 12.8-13.2v The schematic I am looking at says I should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.4v at the collector.

As I continued testing voltages, I got back to Q7, Q8; the RF Pre-Amp transistors. The voltages appeared to be correct.

Something strange happened while measuring the voltages on Q7. I had my test lead running across the board and the probe touching the base of Q7. I happened to look up and saw that I was now transmitting at full power on the watt meter. I moved the probe and once again was down to 0 watts.

Thinking cold solder joint, I began probing around the area with a non-metallic probe, but could not get the power to jump back up. I put the test lead probe back to the same point, but again saw no power. I was able to get the condition to repeat by snaking the test probe lead across the board in the area of the driver/final, but moving the wire away from the board while keeping the mic keyed and the probe on the correct point on the board makes the transmit drop out.

I believe at this point I should be looking for something that is stopping the signal from getting from Q7 to the driver, and that the test lead is somehow working as an inductor to get the signal where it needs to go. Just never seen this happen before and with the lack of service information available on this radio I'm working semi-blind.

REPLACE ALL CAPS FIRST.... I know the two schools of thought... dont mess with it if it is working.... wrong a cap-Electrolytic is a battery ( it holds a charge with electrons) and it dries over time or leaks looses its peak and ability to follow the electron flow as a reserve - can short or just fail. This post is ten years later than the question but just fixed one on the bench. All Caps more than 50% off value some more. After Cap replacement

First Check SSB and AM transmit... If PA works than Mod should be OK.

Check Mic

Check The wires going from mic input to x-amp and finals.

Check the Diodes

Check solder joints.

Also one of the small transformers-Coils-cans could be out of alignment and by crossing a wire over can it- is temp correcting the freq.

On AM transmitter will key to 2-18 watts turn down if above 6 watt

1969 final will kick 18 plus watts 12 db rated

Finals bias could be off, set to specs.

Could also be bad final, prob not if transmitting intermit..... turn large pot variable resistor white porcelain on top of radio fully clockwise this is your AM Power. counter clockwise is down. If no power try next.

The last two large brown Transformer Coils on right side with radio facing forward are the adj for transistor. turn slug farthest to back first and watch watt meter increase until peaked. same with second slug. This can be done with simple watt meter if no other equipment is available.

if no transmit check that you are getting increase in voltage to final an driver.

6-8 volts on AM 11-13 V SSB

Get specs and set bias with amp meter in series

These are very nice radios and made with quality in Japan

If you are having prob with frequency first pull the can in front left of radio rectangular unit with slug.

Open it by scraping off the lacquer. Dont be afraid of damage just scrape until you can get can off ---inside is a cap.... why they did not use a tantalum? replace

Seen numerous bad caps....

4-6 on AM

10-12 on SSB

More power does not mean better signal as a peaked radio doing 5 watt on AM that is clear and clean will travel farther than a splatter box doing 20-50 watts.... Its all about the clean carrier and these radios will out perform any new rigs when tuned properly. Good antenna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?