• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna setup question

BIONIC_TEXAN88

Aug 1, 2005
TEXAS PINEYWOODS
I have a single cab f150. I currently have a 2m antenna mag mount on top of the cab and a 102" mounted on the toolbox. Would these antennas interfere or show hi swr if I moved the 102" to the top of the cab? I was planning on putting one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side.

I would leave them where they are. The 2m mag mount will perform best if it is centered on the cab roof. The 102 will perform very well on the tool box. as long as the tool box is bonded to the bed and frame of the pickup and is not too close to the back of the cab..

Rich

Would they show any change in SWR? Maybe, shouldn't be all that much, but since you'd be moving them closer together (maybe) there would probably be some change.
As far as moving the 102" whip, there honestly wouldn't be that much difference from how it's working now. It'd be slightly better at limb trimming!
- 'Doc

Noticed the 'Pinnywood' thing. Wouldn't be close to the 'Lake of the Pines', would you?

W5LZ said:
Would they show any change in SWR? Maybe, shouldn't be all that much, but since you'd be moving them closer together (maybe) there would probably be some change.
As far as moving the 102" whip, there honestly wouldn't be that much difference from how it's working now. It'd be slightly better at limb trimming!
- 'Doc

Noticed the 'Pinnywood' thing. Wouldn't be close to the 'Lake of the Pines', would you?

thanks doc for the input. I am always looking to improve.

Never heard of that lake.

power in perspective always makes me wonder how much is to much or how much more can be a waste of time and money on my part ? Nothing wrong with wanting the best that one can get ,but as far as TX/RX goes ,I some times wonder if the changing of this and that is even worth the effort for that "MORE" thing ? I once asked Beetle if it would be to my advantage to change from 25 feet of good quailty 8X to a bigger 213 type style and he said NO ! as far as RX/TX was concerned,for more power ,that was a yes. Maybe IM just cheap minded when it comes to this stuff ? or more so ,it's that my pocket book can only allow me so much. WOW !! I really think that MORE MORE MORE bug for the hobbiest can get so unnessasaraly expensive for little or more gain then it is truly worth , but leave it not to me to rain on anybodies parade when it comes to there hobby. Im just a cb'er from way back , and for my hobby , I've never really had to spend that much to get done what I needed done. Please don't get me wrong here , If I had the cash to spend and I had plenty left over after , IM sure I would splurge on myself if I could , and I'd be paying guys like MC to put all my fancy antennas and coax up in the first place (-: I just think It's kind of sad at times with guys wanting more only to give it all up before they even get started because they ask questions about something and get so many deep drawn out answers to there questions that they throw in the towel because they don't have all the big dollars to make it work for them ,when in reality , they didn't have to , go figure. Hey Tex ? Nothing wrong with you wanting more my cb friend , but over the years and reading your posts and looking at your pictures , you have managed to do very well for yourself with not a whole lot of hard earned money spent. I've seen your home made 102 inch ground plane , (totally cool if I say so myself) or Lazybones dipole antenna that kicked some ass for him !! those are the fun parts of this hobby that tends to float this old cb'ers boat the most. Not so much 2 dollar a foot coax or 3 hundred dollar ground plane antenna's. Power in perspective , when you really need 4 times the amount you already have ,makes me kind of wonder why somebody would go from a 250 to a 450 ,so on and so on ? There we go again , MORE MORE MORE AND THEN MORE .......but what the hey !! been there done that already .........SHOW ME THE MONEY HONEY !! :) Peace

I appreciate it Jim. It would be nice to be able to afford the very best, I have a friend that has some good $ to spend on different things (coax upgrades, antenna upgrades, etc) and has never really been much difference for him. I have the urge to try and buy different stuff but dont usually have the $ to do what I want.

I think I might just leave it the way it is, I dont know if it will be 40-50 dollar difference on the other end for me to go and buy a quad mag mount and throw it on the roof. Its lookin like the whip will stay on the toolbox. (The pine trees are safe for now ;) )

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated