1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

(Mobile) Lincoln II +

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Slowmover, Jan 22, 2021.

1. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

If the Lincoln is in the pick up you don’t really have to worry about the noise canceling mic as much. That K-PO mic looks promising!

Slowmover likes this.

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

My pickup ain’t loud, but a Cummins-powered Dodge with a handshaker trans ain’t quiet like today’s gassers.

Im willing to bet you’re in the ballpark, though .

ForestRunner98 likes this.
  3. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

I'll awake a sleeping thread. What microphone do you Lincoln 2 owners like with the beast?

Got one ordered and trying to get ahead of it with a good mic before it arrives. Hoping to get your input.

Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.
  4. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Electret is first choice as “dynamic” switch (Euro-only) not available, thus others are a dead-end. Stock is best till I get the Palomar SL-41 modded to eliminate squeal.

An Astatic Red Devil (with NOS “better” switch) is the other.

A dynamic N/C mic not viable as no radio report prefers RK-56 or 636L over the stock mic (which is not noise-cancelling).

Big K ma
    ybe, or JJD with his McKinley running Red Devil, IIRC posts to search.

A Uniden BC-45 is an electret I’ll pick up at some point.

As you have a modded SL-41, you can tell us how well it works.

#79 Slowmover, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Eldorado828 likes this.
  5. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

See post #3

Eldorado828 likes this.
  6. NightThumper

NightThumper Sr. Member

Having tried a Paloma SL41, 636L, M2 desk mic and an SRA198 based on self monitoring and reports from others, the stock mic so far can’t be beat.

7. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

The responses I get on-road favor the stock mic, and from a base station it looks to be the best choice.

There may be microphones from years past which ARE better in mobile applications (M575 mentioned), but for noise-cancellation there doesn’t appear to YET be a suitable compromise.

“Best” (mobile) is likely to be N/C with otherwise G-VG audio. I run with a window always cracked open (not terrifically noisy) and combined with the chamber-like qualities of a big truck interior, N/C “may” get the priority.

Eldorado828 likes this.
  8. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

I've tried, and liked, the Red Devil, and Turner RK70/76, but IMO the stock mic (while feeling cheesy in my hand) has been the best, and I've gone back to using it.

9. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

Well heck, seems to be the same story as with the at-6666... Does the stock president mic suffer the same pop like the anytone

Slowmover and AudioShockwav like this.
  10. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

The channel changing when using a power mic on these radios is the result of switching transients with the preamp. The pop this makes on the audio line is way louder than your voice and somehow triggers a channel change.

Try running the mic up higher with something like a 10k resistor inline with the audio line. This will reduce the amplitude of the switching transient so that it's closer to the normal level of the peak audio.

Slowmover likes this.
  11. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Running a SS 9900 and I keep going back to the stock mike.
    It gets the best reports.

Jeff

Slowmover, undertaker and Eldorado828 like this.
  12. snippits75

snippits75 Well-Known Member

Yes it does.

Talk across it, and you are good. Never found a mic that could top the stock mic, and I tried lots. Some mics cause the channel to jump back one channel...mostly random from what I experienced.

13. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

I keep watching for this , and it has not presented itself so far.
    I am hoping it got fixed in version 4

Jeff

Slowmover likes this.
  14. snippits75

snippits75 Well-Known Member

Mine was a version 3. Local tech and authorized President radio dealer said he thought it was in the firmware. He did tell President about the problem because there were many complaints.

Mics that I used that caused the random jump back. Palomar SL41 did it every now and then randomly. Turner +3 was random too, but did it more than the Palomar. D104 hand mic and D104 chicken choker both caused it randomly. Friend of mine had an old four pin Cobra coffin mic that was factory stock with electret mic element. Channel jumped back every time the mic was keyed.

Astatic 636L noise canceling never did cause it to jump back, but the modulation was weak...I did not use it enough really to see if it would cause jump back or not. Tried a like new Cobra coffin mic with dynamic element, and it caused random channel jump back too.

Slowmover likes this.
  15. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

“Jump back, what’s that sound? Here she comes full blastin’ top down.....

Sorry I just had to.;)