1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Mocat

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Shadowman2, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Shadowman2

Shadowman2 Active Member

What are the pros and cons of this radio? Worth investing in? Motorola Mocat.jpg

2. Atlasta

Atlasta Well-Known Member

Pros: It's a Motorola, made at time when they were the absolute king of mobile communications. IIRC they were made in the USA- or if not, then Japan when Japan was at the peak of electronic production. Built every bit as well as their commercial equipment of the time.

Cons: Kind of lacking in features. Never cared for that top-firing speaker. Not sure how well they took to being modded for power and frequencies. I would imagine that parts, if needed are difficult to impossible to find.

Opinion: Motorola entered the CB business late in the game. While the radios were well built and reliable, there were better radios with more features for less money. IMO Motorola was banking on it's brand name to do the selling. They did sell of course, just not in the numbers Motorola had hoped.

I wouldn't mind having one in the collection if it's in good condition and can be bought cheap enough, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find one, nor would I consider using it as a daily driver.

3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I used to work at Motorola and we built truck loads of them. They were made in the USA early on and I don't know if they ever went overseas with them or not. Parts are standard semiconductors. One thing I have to say about Motorola they did not re-invent the wheel every time they designed a new products. Those did lack a lot in the features area.

4. pro151

pro151 KB4RMA

Good, solid radio. No bells and whistles. Got one that is still original and still works fine when I fire it up.

5. Shadowman2

Shadowman2 Active Member

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen. Appreciate it!

6. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

That one is in Joliet, better grab it before I do...ll

7. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

I don't know much about the CB radios but I have an old Motorola Marine radio that I still use it out performs all the new radios the make now but doesn't have as many frequencies an weighs about 10 lbs , That's back when their quality control was far better than today ! IMO

8. Shadowman2

Shadowman2 Active Member

Go for it! I'm not really in the market at the moment, but, I occasionally see these radios and have always wondered if they were any good. NOw I know.