• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modded Cobra

SmackDown

3's and 8's,
I recently was speaking to an oldtimer in Philly about my 148GTL-DX. He started to tell me about a conversion done by someone named John known as the Jen- ??? who had passed away. He said the mods included a freq. counter, increased output and extras, also a black face.
Anyone here know about this modded Cobra ???

no but i know they made 148's in black that never seen the us. i know they were in portugal. cobra made a 148 gtl dx+ with a large plastic face but no frequency counter. cobra made a silver 148f gtl dx+ that was the twin to a connecx 4800 (old) and had a freq counter.

the hell they didnt, about 8 months ago there was one for sale on ebay and that is what we came up with.

they actually made 2 different black dx's though

this is the least common

cobra_148gtl-ex-gold.jpg

Okay,
I see the black face 148GTL-DX Carl, but this particular radio was modded by a known tech some years ago. I'm sure it was called Jen-Gen or something similar and the tech who did the mods was named John. There is a Cobra 148f GTL-DX that has a freq. counter and channel display with more than 3 bands but the particular Cobra I'm interested in was modded by a tech named John who has passed away and whose company was named Jen- (something)

3's and 8's

oh i believe ya i was just showing the others. if you come across some pics show them off. i pictue it as looking like a clear channel ar 3500 or simular.

yawn. well lets see, there was pictures and a happy buyer. someone posted a picture of it that was in spanish. i dont rember where the link went but if i could find it i would.

i wonder when the moderators will return my pm

Your first link is a regular 40 channel 148F, the second link is the radio I had for a short time. This one had 12 bands of channels, dual finals, and was just like the Connex 4800 without echo.

I got this off of Google....
The COBRA TRANSCEIVER MK5 was never officially released but was made by a Genius of a man called 'John Nugent' who lived in Plaistow in East London.
John's company was called 'JENTEC' and he made only '500' COBSCANS as they were called.

The COBRA TRANSCEIVER MK5 is a top Radio, based around a Cobra 148 PB010ab chassis it covers 26-30Mhz NOT 'legal' as such and fitting a Legal board would seriously undervalue the radio.

They are as RARE as Rocking Horse Sh*t and the last one I saw on Ebay about a year ago sold for $870!!
Owners DONT sell them, only people who don't understand the value of what they have in their possesion or on there last $1.

I would NEVER sell mine EVER, I would rather sell the wife and Kids than sell my MK5. The specs KILL any SUPERSTAR, incremental counter, scanning (& on mic), repeater shift +&-, 1-10kc shift, 26-30Mhz, 4meg VCO, 30wFM 60wSSB, Heat sink, also a 20Mhz conversion so I understand!!.

Sadly Mr.John Nugent died in April 1997 and was a sad loss to CB & Amateur radio.

Thankfully these Superb Radios still carry on working and are a Testament to the maker COBRA/John Nugent.

Check out www.cobraworxshopz.com for info.

PS...Like Carl said.. there is a "Black Face" Cobra 148 on ebay right now and the bid is around $90.....somebody better grab it!

thank you for digging that up.

there is a black 148 on ebay right now

148black.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.