• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MoonRaker VS MacoShootingStar

The Moonraker is an easier antenna to put together and align the elements on. After being up years the aluminum hubs tend to get weak and break.....but that is many years.
The Shooting Star is in no means an inferior antenna. Since the elements are not mounted via hubs like the Moonraker you have to take a little more time to get it right.
Performance wise they would both be equal.

BC

338, just as a note. I disagree with BC above that the MR4 is easier to assemble. Both have elements that must be lined up properly and for me handling the Maco hardware in this area is much easier. Neither antenna is simple to handle once constructed as both are about the same size. I also think the MR4's reflector is more difficult to construct properly and install.

A new in the box MR4 will bring a very high price in the market.

With the Moonraker you only have to line up one set of elements (verticle or horiz) and then both are lined up versus having to line up each individual element on a Shooting Star. With the elements mounted in hubs this is a much easier assembly.
Without the proper equipment and knowledge both antennas can be a job to install. When installing on a tower: a gin pole, several people to man the tag lines, and a couple more to pull it up this is a pretty simple thing to do. Of course I have just put one on my shoulder and walked it up dropping guy wires to get around them as I went up and then hooking them back up. Not something I would want to do this day and time but back then I had to do what I had to do.

BC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.