• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My soon to be new tower.

JPT

BANNED
Oct 15, 2006
N.W. Corner
I have been trying to figure out what direction to go with my new 10K, as in the best way to get it up higher. I dont want to use a tree, since it will be hard to service the antenna if needed. I remembered this tower at a logging yard, that has not been used in years. I contacted the owner, who is in AZ for another week & hopefully made a deal on the tower. It is 60 ft with a steel hinged plate at the bottom. There is the one set of guy's at approx 50 ft and it is NOT attached to the building. This tower is solid and never moved at all. Can you guys help with identifying it as in the make & model?

Attachments

• DSC08699.jpg
    DSC08699.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC08706.jpg
    DSC08706.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 52

Hello JPT:

Kind of hard to see all the tower with just a couple of photos. But to me it looks like a light weight to maybe medium duty tower. NOT made to install a large Yagi Beam Antenna on. Possibility made for small communications and TV Antennas.

Case in point:
A gentlemen near Mojave had a light weight tower, we installed a prototype Crusader 10K, five element beam antenna and rotor, on this light weight tower. The tower twisted in light winds and we made the discussion that it was unsafe and took it all down. The poor guy was really disappointed, but it was a good call. Steve removed the tower and installed a new tower and support structure to allow easy tilt over operation. This allowed the big Crusader 10K Beam and a few Ham band Antennas to be raised up. But cost more money and time. But was well worth the extra time a money, as now it will hang in there in the strong Mojave Desert Winds.

If you plan to put up a Interceptor 10K then I'd say that's good to go. Or any other vertical antenna.

Suggest that you wire brush the tower looking for rusty areas that may have weekend the tower in places. And paint with Rustomlem Paint. Look around at other tower installations in the local area and see how they did it. Its always good to meet new radio people that way.

Steve and I also give a lot of advice and such on antennas installations, even on the antennas we don't sell. But its always a good call to have a professional do the climbing.

Oh yeah use good Coax like LMR 400 Super Flex, no sense in having a first rate antenna and installation and using cheap coax. That’s like have a dime hold up a Dollar.

Good luck, please send in more photos of the finished tower install.

Jay in the Mojave

I have been trying to figure out what direction to go with my new 10K, as in the best way to get it up higher. I dont want to use a tree, since it will be hard to service the antenna if needed. I remembered this tower at a logging yard, that has not been used in years. I contacted the owner, who is in AZ for another week & hopefully made a deal on the tower. It is 60 ft with a steel hinged plate at the bottom. There is the one set of guy's at approx 50 ft and it is NOT attached to the building. This tower is solid and never moved at all. Can you guys help with identifying it as in the make & model?

Jay, thanks for your input. I recently purchased a Interceptor 10K from you & will be installing it with new LMR 400 on this tower. I have posted pictures over at eham & there is a ham there, that is certain it is Rohn 6, this was produced in the 60's for light application's, such as a TV antenna, vertical, etc. If the owner accepts my offer to take down the tower for him w/o a large purchase price, I will take it down & bring it to a place in Seattle, what does hot dip galvanizing & repaint it as well, this would be after doing a leg compression test. I think if I take the correct steps & install this tower properly, I will get many years of service from it.
Jay, I have a few questions on tuning my 10K, is it possible to exchange phone numbers to get a consultation?

Thanks again, Guy.
Hello JPT:

Kind of hard to see all the tower with just a couple of photos. But to me it looks like a light weight to maybe medium duty tower. NOT made to install a large Yagi Beam Antenna on. Possibility made for small communications and TV Antennas.

Case in point:
A gentlemen near Mojave had a light weight tower, we installed a prototype Crusader 10K, five element beam antenna and rotor, on this light weight tower. The tower twisted in light winds and we made the discussion that it was unsafe and took it all down. The poor guy was really disappointed, but it was a good call. Steve removed the tower and installed a new tower and support structure to allow easy tilt over operation. This allowed the big Crusader 10K Beam and a few Ham band Antennas to be raised up. But cost more money and time. But was well worth the extra time a money, as now it will hang in there in the strong Mojave Desert Winds.

If you plan to put up a Interceptor 10K then I'd say that's good to go. Or any other vertical antenna.

Suggest that you wire brush the tower looking for rusty areas that may have weekend the tower in places. And paint with Rustomlem Paint. Look around at other tower installations in the local area and see how they did it. Its always good to meet new radio people that way.

Steve and I also give a lot of advice and such on antennas installations, even on the antennas we don't sell. But its always a good call to have a professional do the climbing.

Oh yeah use good Coax like LMR 400 Super Flex, no sense in having a first rate antenna and installation and using cheap coax. That’s like have a dime hold up a Dollar.

Good luck, please send in more photos of the finished tower install.

Jay in the Mojave

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.