1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a 6db Base Antenna For 406-512Mhz.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Kirk2010, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Kirk2010

Kirk2010 Member

I have an ICOM F4001 400-470MHz. Am a member of CERT and building a base station at my home and need an antenna. Other members of group have been using a great antenna from Antenna Warehouse (here is the URL to the antenna I want: AWH-450 UHF base antenna

BUT...antenna warehouse has stopped taking orders for this antenna stating that they can no longer get it!!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know who the mfg is so I can't even research it to find one.

Have attached a picture of the antenna here:

[​IMG]
    BTW, the phone number in the photo is wrong, he has an error on his site.

Can anyone help me identify this antenna? I really need one quickly. Anyone know of an antenna source who could help?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Diamond X50A Antenna
    7.2db @ 70cm.
    Same one I use . . .

The X50NA and X50A are excellent choices where ruggedness is required in a medium-gain, dual-band application.

Special Features:
    • Fiberglass radome
    • Stainless steel hardware
    • Wide band performance
    • Factory adjusted – no tuning required
    • High wind rating
    • DC grounded
    Specifications:

Band: 2m/70cm
    Gain (dB): 4.5/7.2
    Max Power Rating: 200
    Wind Rating: 135 MPH (no ice)
    Height (feet): 5.6
    Connector: UHF
    Element Phasing: 3-1/4l, 3-5/8l

Remarks: Also available with Type-N connection.

Attached Files:

• X50.JPG
      X50.JPG
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  3. dudmuck

dudmuck Active Member

That AWH-450 has the feature of being adjustable.
    It would have the advantage of being able to be set to run on a wide range of frequencies, but the instantaneous bandwidth is 20MHz. So if you dont adjust it right, it wont work well.

A ham antenna for 70cm band would be a good choice if you are on or near ham band. But i think your need might be on GMRS. If so, you would be better off googling around for GMRS antenna and pick one you like. Because good 70cm antennas dont have enough bandwidth for GMRS.

4. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

Look up Hustler's line of commercial antennas. Just because your radio transmits over that wide of range doesn't mean you are going to be needing to transmit across that entire range. Where exactly are you TX'ing?

Here's their Land Base HD line. How about 9db gain for ya - Hustler's parent company is called New-Tronics now.

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hd_406-512_9_db_gain.html

#4 Wire Weasel, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  5. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

I think if you look at a few catalogs you will find several antennas the equivalent of the one you can't find anymore, that particular style/type isn't all that unusual. I think I'd make a few comparisons of specs, then pick the one you think would work for you (both performance and cost wise).
    - 'Doc

: antenna, icom