• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need A Recommendation (meters)

CM-4441

Dec 10, 2010
NE Florida
What would be a good/best 3 meter setup for CB. I have seen Dosey, Workman and Astatic. Any others out there? Which one is the best? Please don't say get, insert name, if it isn't a 3 meter setup. I want a 3 meter one for the looks but I also want it to be a decent performer.

Terry

There is also the Paradynamics units. PDC 600 is good. Pass on the 550, it is too small for my taste anyway.

Many several of all of these you listed and the PDC 600's on ebay every week. Probably can get an advertised working one in good condition, used, for $45-50 bucks.

Good luck

What would be a good/best 3 meter setup for CB. I have seen Dosey, Workman and Astatic. Any others out there? Which one is the best? Please don't say get, insert name, if it isn't a 3 meter setup. I want a 3 meter one for the looks but I also want it to be a decent performer.

Terry

Google and eham are your friend.

I've been very pleased with my Astatic meter, smooth needle movement it's illuminated and handles up to 5KW. I had a couple disappointing experiences using DOSY products.

Well that is the problem. I have read of problems with all of the above mentioned meters. I don't need super accurate meters, but I don't want junk either. The Astatic meters seem to be pretty good without having very many issues.

I was hoping there would be more comments on this topic so I could get a better handle on whats out there though. I guess there isn't really that many to choose from.

Terry

I just ordered the best one I have seen anywhere. I like you wanted to get a really good one and this is the best there is I believe.
Here is the link for it just put the usuall www in front and enjoy.
.thunderpole.co.uk/hp-5000.htm
I will post up how well it works after I get it.
Ralph

Got the meter today and it is very accurate and the built in monitor with amp really lets you hear just how your signal will sound to others. The ssb position lets you get a better view of you ssb peaks than just the pep position does. The modulation meter is the most accurate I have seen for that purpose. Using the monitor while adjusting your mic gain really lets you hear just how it is working. Only draw back was the power pack since it is sold to operate overseas it was designed for 230v so I had to dig one up that put out 12v for the meter lights and the monitor to work.
Overall I say that the meter is very good highly accurate. The monitor is outstanding for checking your mic and modulation. You can tell if your are overmodulating on the meter and in the headphones at the same time.

Got the meter today and it is very accurate and the built in monitor with amp really lets you hear just how your signal will sound to others. The ssb position lets you get a better view of you ssb peaks than just the pep position does. The modulation meter is the most accurate I have seen for that purpose. Using the monitor while adjusting your mic gain really lets you hear just how it is working. Only draw back was the power pack since it is sold to operate overseas it was designed for 230v so I had to dig one up that put out 12v for the meter lights and the monitor to work.
Overall I say that the meter is very good highly accurate. The monitor is outstanding for checking your mic and modulation. You can tell if your are overmodulating on the meter and in the headphones at the same time.

did u get it from that thunderpole?ask cause i thought that was in uk?
if so was shippinmg it to you was high?

Only draw back was the power pack since it is sold to operate overseas it was designed for 230v so I had to dig one up that put out 12v for the meter lights and the monitor to work.

why not just use your radio psu ?

its not as if it will draw huge amounts of current.

i'm also curious to know how you can tell if its highly accurate, especially on ssb power.

have you tested it against a high spec reference?

reason i'm asking is i've always fancied the look of it, but knowing only too well that its probably made in the same factory as zetagi gear and zetagi have their own unique definition of what a watt is (about 500mw if your lucky on an accurate meter) i'm very very curious.

incidentally if it IS anything like zetagi gear i'd be very wary of putting anywhere near 5000w through it (conservative power handling figures isn't one of their strong points) , i'm not to sure a molten swr meter performs too well.

I now have it on the same power as the radio. When I first got it was just trying to get it up and going so used the first power pack I found in my pile that fit the jack.

Basing my accuracy rating on what the meter shows and what the o-scope shows at the same time. The meters require the unit to be powered up to be used. They use some sort of bridge network and light green for normal and turn red to indicate overscale or out of range.

I did not like the zetagi meters and this is not made by them.

I got it from thunderpole and paid 213.00 including shipping and it arrived here very quickly.

I still can't get over how well that monitor works. I had my oldest cobra 148 that makes a hissing sound when squelched and with the monitor was able to verify that the same sound is going out over the air. After confirming that, using the o-scope found the audio amp chip was putting out the noise. Replace the audio amp and now sounds like new again.

I really like this meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.