• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Info

Coffee

Sep 24, 2005
Ga
Need some info or help. Got a Hy-Gain Afterburner Plus Model 483. Everything I have found says it has 6JU6 tubes in it, but I have RCA 7422 tubes. Atleast that is what is on them. Anyone have any info on these tubes? Think they need replaceing. Thanks

Uh Mr. Coffee, that "7422" on those tubes is the production date. The 22nd week of 1974. Tubes bought in bulk to feed a factory's assembly line tend to have an "open" date code printed on them in that format. Two digits for the year, followed by two digits for the week, 01-52.

Sounds like the actual type number has rubbed off, or is too faint to see without a really bright light.

This makes it sound as if those tubes are the factory-original ones. Tubes sold in cardboard cartons as replacements usually have a "letter" code, two letters that don't directly tell you when the tube was made. The distributor who packaged the tubes would have a key to those codes, but if you bought a tube that had been on the shelf 5 years, you couldn't just read that off the tube and gripe, since it was encoded.

The 6JU6 is nearly the same as type 6JB6, so you should be able to use either type. Other numbers can be subbed, with one or two changes to the tube socket's wiring.

Lordy, this forum needs a list of links to tube suppliers.

www.radiotubesupply.com

www.tubesandmore.com

www.houseoftubes.com

www.rfparts.com

Well, that's a start.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated