• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW FTM-350 Owner

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Ok I just coudnt stand it any longer and ordered a FTM-350 and internal GPS this morning.

It will be at the house tomorrow so hopefully I will get it installed in the truck this weekend, I'll try to get a few pictures of the install.

I just couldnt help myself :LOL:

Even with the few drawbacks compared to the Kenwood 710, the benefits and options out weighed the draw backs. Plus all the great reviews on this site made it irresitable..

So, catch ya on the band width ..

Craig

Congratulations! I am just a couple of days behind you. Just need to stop reading about it and order the rig.

N1LUL

Well, congrats on the rig. Make sure and show us some pics of your install, especially if it goes mobile. After you use it for a while, let us know what YOU think of the rig.

Well, congrats on the rig. Make sure and show us some pics of your install, especially if it goes mobile. After you use it for a while, let us know what YOU think of the rig.

Its definately going mobile, I just couldnt get over how nice the display is with Alpha tags. I wish they could have combined the 710 and the 350 that would be the perfect dream radio, but I am sure I will love the 350...

I will definately post up the pics as soon as its installed. (y)

I was going to use my VX-8DR as my mobile like Moleculo does in his RV but after much reading and consideration I decided to go all out and get the VX-8DR's big brother (FTM-350R).

I ordered it last week and it arrived here yesterday. I ordered all the goodies to go with it. Here is the list: Internal GPS (FGPS-1), Bluetooth adapter (BU-1), Bluetooth charger cradle that mounts to the head (CAB-1), Mono Bluetooth headset (BH-2), Voice Guide Unit (FVS-2), and a Comet CA-2X4SR antenna. I'm a happy man. My wallet on the other hand Not So Much. :sad: Everything totaled just over $1200:eek:.

I'm going to install it on Sunday. I can't wait. It kind of sucks having to wait but that is the first chance I have to do it. I will post my install pictures earily next week. I will also show the antenna mount that I have made for my 2006 Ford E-250 van. Moleculo was interested in that.(y)

Cheers
Darryl VA7DTP

Ok, so the radio arrived yesterday, I couldnt wait to use it so I connected it up to my J Pole in the house and started playing with it.

Took all of about 10 minutes to figure out the programming and I was on APRS in about 15,so look up W1MED-9 for the new radio.

I should have the mobile antenna today and already put the mount on the truck and ran the coax, all I need is power and I'll be up mobile. :w00t:

Not too keen on the suction cup mount, anyone find anything better ?? I love my Kenwood mount on my 700 with the cradle.

Anyone know why the A12 would be flashing ?

Craig

Actually the suction cup mount is perfect in the explorer, I'll get some pictures as soon as I finish the complete install.

All I had to do was bend the tab a bit and it mounts perfectly in the center of the dash on one of the trim pieces.

We'll I did it. Order went in this A.M. for the -350R and a bunch of goodies.

Will be going in my 2010 Mazda 3 hatch. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

The only thing left is to get up the nerve to have someone drill a hole in the roof for a real antenna mount. I don't want to hurt her.

The A12 flashes when the APRS modem is on and set to 1200 baud. It's normal.

Darryl

Actually it stopped flashing when I turned off the APRS Mute ..

When I first started the radio up and did the initial settings, it wasnt flashing. Then when I was trying to figure out why it was flashing I realized I had set the APRS to Mute, turned the Mute off and its not flashing any more. Book says nothing about it, well not that I could find...

Craig

Then when I was trying to figure out why it was flashing I realized I had set the APRS to Mute, turned the Mute off and its not flashing any more. Book says nothing about it, well not that I could find...

Yep, that's what it's for. The manual is really lacking on a lot of these little things.

Maybe you could post a sticky for undocumented features.. Might make it easier for new buyers.

I really like the radio thus far, Still waiting on the mobile antenna, cant wait to get it operational in the truck !!

Took all of about 10 minutes to figure out the programming and I was on APRS in about 15,so look up W1MED-9 for the new radio.

I sent you an APRS message from OpenAPRS :)

Having a problem entering the following freq, probably dont have something set right but unsure.

154.0325 Local Fire freq

Any Ideas ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.