• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham soon. Best bang for the buck handheld?

K7RDN

Dec 2, 2010
I will have my Amateur license the middle of February, test is scheduled for Technician and General.

Been wondering about which hand-held to get. Thinking of a multi-band and of course want the biggest band for the buck.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations and the reason why.

I would make one change in that recommendation. I would get the KG-UVD2D, or the '3' model instead. That's if you just have to have a hand-held, I wouldn't recommend one as a 'first' radio.
- 'Doc

I am a new ham (May 2010). The Wouxun KG-UVD1P is my first radio. I has been excellent, no problems what so ever. I have since purchased a 2nd Wouxun for the 220 band (2M/220). My only complaint is the "S" meter reads full scale on weak signals. So if you Fox hunt, this would not be a good choice, but if not a Fox hunter, the Wouxun is a great bargain.

Last edited:
I agree with Doc. I'd pass on a handheld also and get a nice mobile/base unit instead. When I got my tech. I just had to have a HT, I got a yaesu vx7r with all the gadgets and it sucked . Use my yaesu 7900r and sold the vx7r.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.