• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New King of Freebanders

NorthStar

Administrator
Mar 21, 2005
I have been noticing a growing trend of Volunteer FIre and EMS that program freqs in their radios that they do not have a license for and call them tactical Channels. But I noticed the FCC has not done anything about this.

What kind of radios? *Most* of the Public Service radios are pretty channel-strict and aren't easy to "program". Most county and EMS agencies' radios are pre-programmed by their radio shop. If they are talkin on these "channels", turn 'em in!
What's good for the goose is good for the gander! :evil:

\
CWM

i know a handfull of cbers up here that got some pretty fancy kenwood's that are programed with channels called bullshit 1 and 2, police and emergency is set as well. i dont know the model but its got a really nice green display that is alpha numaric, so it says sheriff instead of 154.250

edit: they are kenwood tm-271a model 2m radio's

There are free banders all up and down the spectrum and there are many reasons why. I have my ham license and tried for a few years to get my wife to get hers so we could use radio as primary comunications. But, she just flat out said she was NOT going to get her ham license but she did want me to look into another "kind" of radio. So we operated on 800 MHZ simplex for about a year with some old puplic service radios! Before I got a GMRS license and repeater. Now we fight free banders on those freq's. ha ha...

by me in NJ

there is a firehouse on 2 meters..
there is a EMS on 2 meters..
(on 2 meters...ham radio operators are the Primary people licenced....unlike on 70cm band where Ham ops are secondary to various goverment agencys)

and still have not figured out what kind of police or more likly some sort of jail or other private security on murs..

if you want to talk about gmrs there is even more...lol

i suppose i (or anyone can turn them in)
but they are various Emergency services..
So i leave them alone

Hello NorthStar:

This has been going on for years and years and will continue as two way radios are used.

We use to hear the local police on different bands and frequencies after hours. Like the Police would show up on the highway maintenance channels for a steek out or other activities. Kind of a neat find really.

We had a forest fire in the mountains near us a few years back. A Northern California Fire Fighting crew showed up on the local MURs channel. The Fire Chief asked who we where, and we told him about the MURs radio service. We took a stand by for the fire fighters, they are emerengy traffic. Later we had Pizza and Beer after the fire, with all the fire fighters, Great times.

Commercial Fishermen use what is called Pirate Channels on the HF Band. Just listen for the guy with a Disel Engine in the background.

Military Pilots have what is called "Winchester" and "Haircut" frequencies that they talk to each other on. Been going on since the advent of radio. Listen in on 123.45 MHz and that is the aircraft to aircraft VHF channel.

The Los Angles Fire Department and County, use to use the VHF Low and High Band. Now use 400 and 800 Mhz. Thet also will show up on long abounded VHF frequencies at times.

I hear military op's on some of the freeband freq's at times. Maybe MCW will turn them in to!

In Barstow there was a Servaier outfit that used old RCA handheld radios, probable orginally licensed back in the 1950's, or 60's and long forgotten.

I listen in on the UHF Channels with my scanner, we have a few 440 Ham repeaters that I listen to. I also listen in on the GMRS channels. You can here the same ham operators using ham call signs on the ham 440 band, as on the GMRS UHF channels.

So there is unauthorized radio activity all over.

Jay in the Mojave

NorthStar said:
I have been noticing a growing trend of Volunteer FIre and EMS that program freqs in their radios that they do not have a license for and call them tactical Channels. But I noticed the FCC has not done anything about this.

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
by me in NJ

there is a firehouse on 2 meters..
there is a EMS on 2 meters..
(on 2 meters...ham radio operators are the Primary people licenced....unlike on 70cm band where Ham ops are secondary to various goverment agencys)

and still have not figured out what kind of police or more likly some sort of jail or other private security on murs..

if you want to talk about gmrs there is even more...lol

i suppose i (or anyone can turn them in)
but they are various Emergency services..
So i leave them alone

Yeah in my part of nj i hear emergency management use 2m & 70cm also

I have to wonder just how much of what you hear on 2m or 70cm near the big cities is really intermod and not actually on-frequency transmissions.Not saying it does not happen but intermod is more likely.It can be nearly impossible to tell what the actual TX freq is.

I had an HT (early Icom t-90a) that I couldn't use on 2m around L.A. due to the intermod problems it had. I could hear every police, fire, coast guard freq. as I dialed around the band. It was ridiculous, but none of them were really on 2m. But like Jay shows with his examples, unlicensed activity does occur more often than you might think.

Hello Mole:

Yeah I remember that Icom HT that had incredo Intermod, what a shame the design was so poor.

When I lived in the San Fernando Valley I got a lot of intermod. On Verdugo Peak they had the old High Power VHF Phone Systems working that got into everything. But was finaily taken off the air, man what a menace.

We have a local Tow Truck Company on 31 MHz, a old commercial frequency. Been there since the early 70's. The nice lady dispatcher says to hold on while she lights another cigarette, keeping the mic key as she lights up, how nice!
Hehhehee

Jay in the Mojave

Moleculo said:
I had an HT (early Icom t-90a) that I couldn't use on 2m around L.A. due to the intermod problems it had. I could hear every police, fire, coast guard freq. as I dialed around the band. It was ridiculous, but none of them were really on 2m. But like Jay shows with his examples, unlicensed activity does occur more often than you might think.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.