• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Product from Magnum International...

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
While talking on the phone yesterday with Sam Lewis of RF Limited/Magnum Int'l; I brought up the subject of base station radios. I asked him if they are planning to make a base station and enter into that market competition. He said they are considering putting a Magnum S-9 in a rack-mount case.

They had previously built a limited edition base station sold to an exclusive customer almost a decade ago. That was the SB-3200B. But the radio Sam discussed with me is possibly going to have four ERF-2030 output transistors. He was a little tight-lipped about the other particulars at this time. I will be checking with him soon and see if there isn't any more brewing on this one.

I will be reviewing a new mic they have coming out - as soon as Sam gets one to me in the next few weeks. It is a knock-off of the popular Astatic 575 ceramic mic. It won't be in the same Astatic-type case; it will be in the same case that they presently put their 2018 Xtreme and Turbo-echo mics in. The knobs on the back will be for mic gain and a tone control. Sam confided with me and said that it will have all of the tonal quality of the 575 - as well as the tone knob with the same huge tonal change that was one of the better features of this mic.

More to come...

i wonder if they will do the o-ring trick in the new mic ? i sent a pm to them about a year ago about it but i never herd from them .
YouTube - EC 2018 XTREME mic loose dial fix

if they are worried about compensation for my idea telll them one of those new s-9 base stations will be fine with me . hahahahahahaha

Next time you speak with Sam, asked what ever become of idea of the 457 and this:
2415ec71.jpg

8ce9ef88.jpg

I just got off of the phone with Chris Holland at "The Radio Shop" in Ontario CA. He has never heard of the radio mentioned above. I will ask Sam Lewis tomorrow about it.

We also discussed installing a SX-175 in the OmegaForce. He said that to his knowledge - that it had not been done before. At least not at his shop there. He pointed out that the echo/talkback board would need to be moved; but he feels confidant that it can be done. So, I will probably have this done in the near future. The SX-175 uses four ERF-2030 MOSFET's with an ample heat sink. They have installed more than a thousand of these units successfully - and are presently being used by truck drivers nation wide - with only a small handful of returns.
Pretty decent record - I would say.

WE then talked about the new mic. He has personally checked this mic on-air with locals he knew well, and they claimed they could not tell the the new mic from an original Astatic 575 that he used first in this test.

When I test it for myself, I will let you know...

No; as I just forgot to ask. We talked about a few things that I cannot mention at this point. Other things are happening at RF Limited that may be mentioned in the near future.
I'll bring the 457 up with Sam tomorrow as well...

I was just wondering if the plans had been scrapped.I also look foward to hearing about the other things.:whistle:

262 , is it similar to the 257 and 357 ?

The 457 was to be the same as the 357 but with a pair of 2879's

Attachments

• mag457.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 18
Here is some info on the SX-175

Attachments

• sx175_power_cabinet_sm.jpg
    sx175_power_cabinet_sm.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 334
  • sx_175_power_cabinet_info.pdf
    321.6 KB · Views: 19
  • sx_175_sch.pdf
    372.1 KB · Views: 13
  • sx_175_pcb_layout.pdf
    544.5 KB · Views: 12
I am more interested in that new mic. I hope that would work for me on my RCI-2970n2. As stated before in my posts ( ahh somewheres ) the Astatic 636 is too tinny for me and the RK-56 is too much bass so there i am stuck unless i pay out the wazoo for the 575. Keep me informed on that Rob. Thanks.

Next time you speak with Sam, asked what ever become of idea of the 457 and this:
2415ec71.jpg

8ce9ef88.jpg

You raised an interesting point. The item in the above post came to Sam's attention when he received many phone calls about it. This ad is a fake, a phoney, a hoax - nothing more. Someone had photo-shopped the whole radio ad together. Sam had to deal with phone calls for many days over that one.
As well as today...

The 457's scenario is whole different story. The radio and accompanied box came out just as the FCC has posted an edict against external amplifiers being used by all interstate truckers. The companies told their drivers that anyone was caught with an external amp that they would be immediately dismissed. Since the 2nd unit attached to this radio appears to be an external amp - no one bought them. Neither was it an external amp! No one wanted that kind of trouble; so it wasn't bought from fear and reprisals from this 'edict'. They started production with only 1,000 and then had to stop - due to this sudden marketing condition. So, if anyone has one - it is a rare piece indeed. They do exist in small numbers. Maybe a handful or so in possession by a few individuals today.

Sam said that the Astatic 575 copy/mic will be on the way to me in the next few days. The mic itself will be available on the market in mid February. Probably on the shelves or on internet stores too.
So we will have an exclusive first review on this mic - here on the World Wide Radio Forum!

Attachments

• mag457.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 26
if you own or have access to a 2018 xtreme to compare it too id be very interested in the results . are you planning to compare and include the results of other mics to it in your review ??

when can i expect my s-9 base ????????????

Boy, sure looks like a real ad. Wonder why someone would go to all that trouble and imagination for a joke???

Looks interesting none the less.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?