• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Yaesu FT-450D shipping soon

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Yaesu has announced a revision to it's FT-450 HF transceiver. The primary feature of the new "D" revision is a built in "400 MHz IF DSP". No real information has been released about the specs or performance of the new IF DSP, but I'm sure we'll hear more soon as the rigs become available.

I'd like to compare the specs of the new 450d against a 950, I hope to have my General license in the next 12 hours, so I will soon be looking for a good HF base rig.

I love my FT-450, I actually looked at the FT-950 last year but seen the bigest internal difference was the roofing filters the FT-950 had. I decided to stay with my FT-990 it works great all across the HF bands so it wasnt worth switching to the FT-950 to me.

This new FT-450D may also not be worth looking at for me as Im happy with the FT450 I have now. Let us know how you do with the General and good liuck bud!!! (y)

I'm confused... the specs for the current FT-450 (from the Universal Radio website):

400 MHz built-in IF DSP
Built-in Electronic Keyer
LCD Multi-function Display.
Bar-Graph Metering
Built-in TCXO ± 1 PPM/hour (after warmup)
AGC Fast-Slow-Auto-Off Selection.
Clarifier adjustment
Dedicated Data Jack for FSK-RTTY
CTCSS
User functions configurable by menu
Digital voice announcement of frequency, mode and S-meter
500 Regular Memories and Two voice memories
CW Beacon function
10 kHz Roofing Filter

The FIRST thing on the list is the 400mHz i.f. DSP. Yet this is touted as a new feature on the FT450D.

The main "new" features I notice for the FT-450D are lighted buttons, lifter feet on the front, some CW filtering (not on the current model?) and a higher price. It also includes the AT that currently comes with the FT-450AT model - and seems to now have the same hand-mic that currently comes with the FT-897D. Does it have a usb port - for "modern" computers? Or just the usual 9-pin serial DB-9 legacy connector? Yaesu seems to be anti-usb connector... Why?

Last edited:
I'm confused... the specs for the current FT-450 (from the Universal Radio website):

400 MHz built-in IF DSP

...[snip]...

The FIRST thing on the list is the 400mHz i.f. DSP. Yet this is touted as a new feature on the FT450D.

The Yaesu website say this about the 400MHz IF DSP:
Feature description will follow soon

The FT-450 Operation Manual says:
Intermediate Frequencies: 67.899 MHz / 24 kHz

So my guess is that what is new for the "D" model is the "400 MHz", not the IF DSP, meaning a 400 MHz Processor as opposed to a older slower processor, not a 400 MHz IF.

This is my favorite feature:
Built-in TCXO ± 1 PPM/hour (after warmup)
After warm-up? Doesn’t the "TC" in TCXO stand to Temperature Compensated? :headbang

ft450

How does it work on psk or rtty, I use a FT857D right now , can't be beat for digital, just a data cable to the pc...
DOCTOR/795

Im kind of curious what the opinions are for those who have owned both the 450 and the 857/897. I plan on getting active again and wanted to pick up a rig. I was looking at these two and wondering what people thought who have used both?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated