1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

No More RadioactiveRadio's

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by NewYork714, Feb 28, 2015.

1. NewYork714

NewYork714 New Member

Finally FCC heard got them and Mike took off without paying fines. He overcharged way to much and outfed all his service work. Heard he charged for a lot of mods that he didn't even do from some of his independent service shops. Heard he also took some peoples radio's with him when he closed shop. Heard he had a 75% discount off everything for a couple of days to empty his inventory. No more WackPacked Radio's anymore.

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Seems you have heard a lot. Any proof about what you heard.

3. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

4. midnight special

midnight special Sr. Member

unit 399 that link is from 2007 not 2015

milkman21218 likes this.
  5. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Active Member

Isn't he a site sponsor at some other boards? Oooops. :oops:

6. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Oops!! your right. My bad.

7. space cowboy

space cowboy Quack Quack

ebay says - radioactiveradio (1000) No longer a registered user ...

8. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

Well there goes the warranty on my 80 watt SWPed General Lee.

9C1Driver likes this.
  9. pro151

pro151 KB4RMA

I heard somewhere that Mike and Bozo had a falling out.

10. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I don't think he is anymore.
    I don't think he's been a sponsor over there for some time now. I wonder if surface mount technology played a part in this? The new radios seem to be more stable and not everyone with a $5 soldering iron can hack on them...seems to be a win win.

hotrod, Crusher, binrat and 1 other person like this.
  11. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T

At the end of the day it was openly selling export radios and amplifiers and modifications that put him on the FCC radar along with some of the other more popular retail sites mentioned here. Regardless of our opinions these guys take a chance doing it and openly displaying what they do and sell on public websites.

TonyV225 and binrat like this.
  12. space cowboy

space cowboy Quack Quack

until you want to work on them yourself.

13. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Active Member

So many bad reports about those guys seems like a good thing he gone bye bye prob will pop up under another name in 6 month.

14. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

It is possible. You need a big magnifying glass / light combo, a soldering machine with the tip the size of a pin head and no caffeine in your system.

TonyV225 likes this.
  15. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I see your point. The guy that likes to experiment with his own radios that doesn't have as steady of hand or the sharpest eyesight will suffer. There is soldering equipment designed for surface mount that will make it easier. I saw a pic of some soldering tweezers with a magnifying glass attached.

It will separate the better techs from the truck stop clip and tune techs that have more experience polishing chrome. Anything that will stop those guys from ripping off the ignorant is alright with me. I have zero SMT experience but will eventually have to learn. All I've done is remove resistors from export rigs to expand the frequency but I've heard of shops that won't even do that.