• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No thermal compound?

sportygreg

Nov 30, 2006
Dunedin,Fl
I just got a Realistic TRC414 radio cheap and it works well-when I inspected the inside I noticed the driver,final,and an IC were bolted to heatsinks but instead of the usual mica/thermal compound there was some thin gray material used as backing.It appears to be original from the factory so is this some thermal material used instead of compound? :roll:

That's exactly what it must be!I never saw a radio with that stuff before but most of the radios I see are older units.You would think it would be easier to use than mica and compound and it transfers heat more efficiently!What will they think of next? :LOL:

The Silicon heatsink insulators seem pretty common in modern stuff. I guess it is easy to apply via Robot.

Beware of the heatsink compounds in old equipment. Some it is Beryllium based, which is highly toxic.

ive used this for CPU thermal interface on computers and and components for it . CPU's can get pretty warm when youre overclocking . i would think it would work as a thermal interface media for amps as well .im sure someone will correct me if im wrong .

BOOTY MONSTER said:
ive used this for CPU thermal interface on computers and and components for it . CPU's can get pretty warm when youre overclocking . i would think it would work as a thermal interface media for amps as well .im sure someone will correct me if im wrong .

yep it can. i was thinking one day of using computer water cooling for an amp. guess what ive seen it used in a cb/ham amp. should have saved that picture.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated