• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Non-2.4GHz video transmitter

i336

Dec 8, 2010
Hi there!

I have RF sickness, which is rather undocumented, but it basically means that I have to almost over-severely limit my time near "hi-tech" stuff - I'm not sure why but I think it has something to do with the high frequencies. I can use the computer, but not too often - every couple of weeks for an hour here and there - and I have a CRT TV which I'm fine with, so it isn't (thankfully) a complete no-go policy for technology. I can't handle set-top boxes though, which will be interesting once Australia switches the analog signal off come 2015!!

Anyway, since I'm getting a (33MHz :)) RC helicopter for... well, just look at the calendar :) I just wanted to ask how complex it'd be to construct a non-2.4- or 5.8GHz composite video transmitter (and mono audio, if that wouldn't be hard) for it? It's a Twister Bell Medevac heli so it's reasonably large and should be able to handle a bit of weight, but I wouldn't push it. I also don't want something that needs 10 Amps to transmit; I would like to actually fly it for its rated amount of time. Speaking of transmission characteristics I'd actually like to make it 1) not too strong 2) have two channels and 3) have variable output power. That'd be great :D

I thought of sticking an antenna amplifier on an RF modulator...?

Looking forward to your responses!

i336

I used to have about 10 of those things I now have a large LCD HDTV I use as a computer monitor, a CRT looks pitiful next to it...:w00t:

T23

Slightly OT, but LCD etc displays radiate high frequency radiation because of all the digital decoding circuitry :)

A CRT operates at a few kHz by comparison, and receives an analog signal at that, so yes, it does tire me out, but not as badly as a digital TV would.

Back on topic :p, I forgot to mention in my original post... that I want my transmitter to be as low-frequency as possible! I'm aware that TV starts at ~40MHz; I would like to start here, if possible, although I don't specifically need a system capable of being received directly on a TV, ie without a specialized receiver. I just want it as low-frequency as possible.

If anyone has any ideas as to other forums or places I might try that would be welcome.

i336

This may not be the best idea but why not modify a 49MHZ baby monitor to send an analog video signal?

T23

Wow, would that work? Video through... a baby monitor. I am learning how much I don't know about radio. :blink:

So... how would that work? Camera/audio > RF modulator > baby monitor transmitter? And then receiver ...> TV, I hope (ie not displaying on some custom piece of hardware)?

Also, ideas for an inexpensive non-TFT-or-otherwise-flat "portable" video monitor would be cool, so then I could watch what I was doing when, say, in a park, as opposed to being tethered to the TV at home.

And if anyone knows of any ideas on how I might amplify both the signal from my transmitter so the heli can hear it from outside the house - perhaps by splicing it into the TV aerial feed? - and boosting either the baby monitor signal, or the receiver, so the video can come back to the house, would be great. Then I can go outside and people will think I have an autonomous helicopter, when I'm just flying it from the TV :p (Video games I can play, anyone?)

i336

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.