• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OCF Windom

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Just put up a new antenna yesterday. Bought the Buxcomm Windom OCF for 6 to 80m.
I immediately noticed an increase in the RX over the G5RV Jr. My reports have been a bit better as well. Due to constraints in my Yard this was the best fit. Its up about 30 feet and is doing a fine job. I still need to bury the coax about 25 feet worth and then the install will be complete!

The Buxcomm comes with a Balun and I opted for the 4:1 Balun which is what they recommend for my height.

Next is getting my Tower up next to the house and getting the New G-5400 AZ/EL Rotator up with the Gulf Alpha Dual Band SAT antenna. Then I am done for a while.... Ya Right !!(y)

If your results are as you say, then I would have to say that it's a definite improvement, right? So good, that's what matters.
From that point, I think 'Buxcomm' plays a little fast-n-loose with what they are calling things versus what that antenna actually is, sort of. It's definitely off center fed, so it isn't a balanced antenna to start with. If the feed line is coax, then it definitely isn't a balanced feed line. So why use a 'balun'? It would make better sense to use an 'unun' (unbalanced antenna to unbalanced feed line), wouldn't it? But if it works, it works.
The impedance transformation ratio, 1:1, 4:1, whatever, is never going to come out exactly right for all bands since all bands don't have a direct harmonic relationship. And, height and shape of the finished antenna (flat-top, bent, drooping, whatever) also have a part in determining the resulting input impedance. There's always some 'play' in that, make it 'better' if you can, don't worry about it much if you can't. If it works, it works.
A true 'Windom' antenna uses a single conductor feed line and is 'worked' against ground as it's 'other half'. Very basically a vertical antenna with an odd shaped 'top-hat'. They require a very good ground system! Your antenna (the 'Buxcomm') isn't really a 'Windom', it's not using ground as it's 'other half'. If you don't look real closely, it certainly resembles one, but it really ain't what it looks like. (Sort of like 'silicon' and other 'shapes', you know? But if it works...?!)
That's all sort of being 'picky' with definitions, but definitions really are important.
- 'Doc

(If it's better than what you were using, then it's an improvement! If not, then it's still interesting.)

Thanks for the Info, I did do some research and pretty much found the definition a little off from Buxcomm but there are several others out there that fit the same bill with different explainations.

It does work alot better and its been raining ever since I put it up, cant wait to see how it does when things dry up a bit.

Sounds great, I am glad to hear it works better. Sounds like your station is comming along nice. Post pics for us.

AP

I am going to wait until the new SAT antenna and Rotator get here, and I get the tower installed. Hopefully the next two weeks and I will have it all done. About the same time my IC-7000 is due back from Icom.

i have a homemade ocf with the 4:1 balun also. and just about the same hight. its a hard antenna to beat. the other day we put it up against a 20m delta loop and the loop lost, bigtime!! it also had out worked my 40 meter vertical with 36 radials. i didnt even wast my time with comparing my g5rv to it HI

Carey

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated