• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions: Just Purchased a Cobra 2000

Craig

Jan 31, 2011
Central Florida
I may kick myself later but I just pulled the trigger and purchased a Cobra 2000 with matching speaker off fleaBay for $285 with "Buy it Now."

I'm guessing the seller either didn't know it's potential value or I'll be getting a piece of junk. Listing was barely minutes old with $13 shipping it was more than I could resist.

Surprisingly the XYL didn't even put up a fuss when I asked would you mind if I purchase the radio, we have this unwritten rule that we cannot spend more than $100 on something without asking each other.. saves allot on marital disagreements.

Anyway, the item is: Cobra 2000GTL with separate Speaker Cabinet & Manual - eBay (item 160561420759 end time Mar-20-11 06:54:52 PDT)

How say you, need predictions good purchase, you lucky devil wish I would have seen that first or man, your insane sure your not off your medication?

I have seen 2000's in worse shape go for much more than that.
If the radio is in as good a shape as it appears and works, I call good deal.

(Hell, I watched a speaker for the same radio sell for nearly $300.00 on eBay one night!) :blink:

I agree - If you receive the radio as described you got a pretty good deal on it. (y) I have seen many a hacked up and blemished 2000 go for more money.

pappy.gif
The best part of the "risk" is the seller has 100% Positive Feedback with a Feedback Score of 2118 sales! Obviously, he (or she) bends over backwards to keep buyer's happy. That means if you aren't happy - he (or she) will work something out to your satisfaction. You can't ask for anymore then that on a EBay sale. BTW - the shipping was "$18.84" not "$13" so you better ask the wife again!
killingme_01.gif

I sold a new 2000 in box for beleive me or not on ebay for $986.00 about 3years ago. It seems you got a great deal if all is working. Right now with the economy as bad as it is these type of great old time radios are not fetching like they were.

I hope it works so you can enjoy it.

AP

The seller contacted me earlier today asking if he could hand deliver the radio since we're around thirty minutes apart, sounded like a great plan so met him halfway.

Nice 5-pin Cobra 2000 everything works, condition is pristine except for a scratch on the speakers trim otherwise perfect.

Radio appears completely stock I can't find any signs that the radio has been opened. All pots turn smoothly, RF output is 3.7 watts AM swinging to 7.5 watts, SSB swings to 15 watts and the frequency counter works.

According to the seller it belonged to his late father, seller a gentleman about my age hand delivered the radio in his brand new Mercedes convertible so you know a little bit about the previous owner.

Since I never owned a Cobra 2000 what is the difference between a 5-pin and 4-pin model?

you got a great deal.

now dont go hacking that radio up!

look on the back and see where it was manufactured. that will give an indication of how old this radio is.
even being almost unused, it is old, and may start giving you some problems.

there was never a 4 pin version of the 2000GTL made.

they all used the 5 pin mic connectors.

the cobra 1000GTL, which is basically a 29LTD in a base station, had the 4 pin mic plug.
they look almost identical, and im guessing that is what caused the confusion.

all 2000GTL's came with the MB8734 chip in them, and it would have to be changed to an MB8719 to convert it for extra channels.
LC

I say you got a great deal on that radio. Seen them all hacked up with added switches and holes in the front or back and even without a speaker going for double that.

If it were mine the only mod I would do is lock the tx and rx together. I have done that on lots of those radios and with the fine and coarse control it make it real sweet.

Like I said if it were mine I would not add channels, but if that is something you plan on I think it needed to have a crystal changed as well as the chip. The crystal in the radio is different from what is in the 148s by something like 5 or 50 kc if I recall, been a long time so I don't remember the exact freq on the crystal, just seem to think that was something that had to be done.

Congrats on the great find.

I plan on keeping the radio completely stock other than hooking it to the scope and adjusting the audio limiter.

Radio operates flawlessly and is dead center on frequency, been receiving good audio/signal reports from nearby stations using the original stock mic.

Just purchased a "like new" Turner Expander 500 mic for $27 on fleaBay. Never been a big fan of D104's my best experiences have been with Turners or Shures perhaps it's my voice but I always land up sounding tinny and hallow whenever I tried using a D104.

I'm completely happy with my purchase and plan on using the 2000 as my primary AM talker.

You got a good deal!

I just bought one I could touch W/O speaker for $250.00, yes pricey but always wanted one and now I could afford it.

Not sure about future mods yet.

Thats a good deal on a great radio I sold my last 2000GTL 2 years ago and regret it as I was the 2nd owner of it and I owned it longer than any radio Ive owned had original box and all sold it for $250.00 to an older fella who I just heard resold it and I wish I had got it back but owell.

All I have left is the extra external speaker I had on it which sits with an extra President madison external speaker I kept from years ago when I had a madison which is another outstanding radio. Why these companies ever quit making these particular radios is something Ill never understand.

Those to particular base radios are simply legends and will forever hold their ground in the CB world thats forsure and someday Ill buy another of each of those radios and wont get rid of them again. The receive on both of those radios is outstanding to say the least

The best part of those radios is even being old were and are extremely reliable if not golden screwdriver tuned and pounded to p!$$ but that can be said for most radios even todays models. There is just something about the President Madison and Cobra 2000GTL that entrigue me and along with leaving the upmost respect for those legends which they are.

Why these companies ever quit making these particular radios is something Ill never understand.

what i never understood is why the cobra 2000 gtl was never released as an export version with a pb010ab board in it, i'm sure it would have been the most popular homebase ssb radio ever made.i've never seen a radio yet that looks as good as it, although the madison came very close and it also would have been eminently suitable to have had a pb010ab board in it.

they would have been legendary just like the mobile pb010ab boarded cobra 148 gtl dx became, even to this day nearly every sideband radio made is a rip off of that 30 odd year old uniden chassis.

what really kills me is they are still making base stations that look like the original cybernet ham international jumbos, galaxy saturn etc,most fugly radio ever made.

Several years ago while attending an auction for Ham Radio equipment I found a mid 80s Cobra 2000 being sold by the family of a Silent Key. The radio came with the operating and service manuals along with receipts from when the original owner had the MB8734 chip replaced.
I was expecting this radio to go for a couple hundred dollars, but was surprised when the auctioneer asked for opening bids I heard comments such as "That's a Chicken Band Radio" .
I waited until the auctioneer gave the third call and I bid the minimum of $25 and took the item.
Brought the radio to Chris at the "The Radio Shop" for inspection. He asked me if I wore a mask when I was bidding since at that price this would be considered ROBBERY. :D
IIRC the radio was made in the Philippines and had no modifications except for the chip.
Sold that radio 7 years ago on EBay for more than 10X what I purchased it for.....

Charles

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.