1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Over the air tv interference

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by 455monte, May 5, 2021.

1. 455monte

455monte Active Member

Hi guys. First post here!
    I am kinda new to radios but have always had interest in 2 way communications.
    So heres a rundown of my setup and my problem.
    Anytone 6666 radio set to 8 watt deadkey on am. Radio is ran off a 12v healthy car battery with a tender attached. 18 ft of rg58x cable a barrel connector and another 6 foot jumper to reach my radio in my shop.
    Sirio gpe 5/8 wave antenna mounted on eve of my shop approx 20 ft height at base of antenna.
    Now the issue.
    I use an over the air antenna mounted in my home attic approx 40 feet from the sirio.
    Everytime i key up and talk on the cb the tv pixelates and then loses signal.
    The family is not happy!
    I tried a rm italy lowpass filter. It has slightly helped but not enough.
    I tried a toroid with 7 wraps at base of antenna. Made no difference. I added snap on ferrites on both the power and coax on the tv and no difference.
    The radio talks and hears awesome!
    So please help me fix this tv interference before my wife beats me!!

2. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

How old is the TV?

3. 455monte

455monte Active Member

1 is a 6 month old samsung and other is a 4 to 5 year old LG

4. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Slowmover likes this.
  5. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

how strong is your tv signal? i got several distant channels that are lower signal strength n 5 watts kills tv on those channels. styronger signals my radios dont bother tv reception

6. 455monte

455monte Active Member

Not sure on signal strength.
    I dont see a percentage meter of strength in the menu like ive seen on other tvs in the past

red97k1500 and Rwb like this.
  7. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

be worth it to see if its tv signal strength, but could be something else too

8. snippits75

snippits75 Well-Known Member

Pico Macom Truspec 54MHZ high pass filter should fix your problem. I had the same problem, and it worked great. 500 watts does not even bother the TV now.

I have a preamp on the antenna pole before the long run of 75 ohm coax to the house splitter. The filter is installed before the preamp.

#8 snippits75, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  9. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

There is a problem with strong RF field, not harmonics, so filter won't help.
    What 5/8 antenna you are using?

red97k1500 and Rwb like this.
  10. 455monte

455monte Active Member

Sirio gpe 5/8 wave with 2 of the 3 ground plane rods attached

Rwb likes this.
  11. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

What I would do:
    1. Check TV antenna circuit. Corroded cable joints, water in cable, bad quality (worn) TV coax.
    How far to TV transmitter? If there is a preamplifier in TV antenna maybe is not needed?

Also filter from attachment built into antenna helps.
    But first check TV antenna condition. qwqwqw.jpg
    Mike

Rwb likes this.
  12. 455monte

455monte Active Member

Thanks for the responses guys
    Mike to start on tv antenna set up.
    Always have used a rca antenna on external corner of roof where the satellite used to be to utilize all the coax that was previously installed. This antenna was within 15 feet of the cb antenna.
    So to simplify i have 1 particular tv that is watched more than the others so i bought a new ge antenna and mounted it in attic directly above the tv. It is approx 12 feet of coax from antenna to tv.
    There is an amplifier at the tv end of coax that is needed to recieve our local channels. The new ge tv antenna is approx 40 feet from the sirio 11 meter. antenna.
    The base of the cb antenna is within close elevation as tv antenna also.

Rwb likes this.
  13. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Do you need that preamplifier? From my experience, in most cases is not needed, that's why I asked how far is TV transmitter.
    For example I have 45km to TV transmitter and I do not use preamplifier. TV antenna is 19 element Yagi pointing transmitter.
    Mike

Rwb likes this.
  14. 455monte

455monte Active Member

I was hoping i could get away without using the preamp and unplugged it a few nights ago
    Tv loses signal
    So it is a necessity unfortunately.

Rwb likes this.
  15. 455monte

455monte Active Member

I will try and find that webpage that shows antenna distances and see how far my transmitters are

Rwb and sp5it like this.