• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar tx75 question

cottentop

Nov 21, 2008
the panhandel of WV
Ok guys and gals i have a Palomar tx 75 mobile amp i looked on cb trix at the PCB lay out and a older cb guru i know says that the Palomar tx 75 and tx 100 are both the same amp and that there is a simpel trick to making a tx 75 into a tx 100 he ( cb guru) says that in tha 70's he did this to a few of them hhuumm is he right or just gitting old and and having CRS LOL :confused: thanks wayne

Well, the ol'fart is right if you understand a few things. Most of the amplifier circuits you commonly find are the same basic circuit. The differences are in the details, as in the selection of part's values which is determined by the requirements of the particular device doing the amplifying (tube/transistor), and what it happens to be amplifying. Different modes are constructed differently and can require different ways of being amplified.
In most cases, changing the values of one or two parts can mean a big difference on what's produced. That can be either good or bad depending on what the 'device' is and the mode it's handling. A particular tube/transistor can be expected to produce so much power (or amplification) in a certain time period before it get's too hot and destroys it's self. That time period isn't measured in days, but in microseconds. If those microseconds are few enough, the device will have time between those 'on' periods to cool off some. That's why tubes/transistors can be 'pushed' to some extent, as with SSB versus AM modes. They aren't 'on' as much as they are 'off', sort of. See where that's going?
There are practical limits! Those limits deal with how long that amplifying device is going to 'live' and act right. Exceed those limits and that device will either start acting 'not right' (or as expected), and will eventually have a shorter life span. The 'trick' is to select component values that result in the longest life span and result in acceptable performance. (All this is only dealing with 'practical' rather than 'electrical' limitations, such as cooling. There are electrical limits too.) While there's always a little 'skootch' room with things depending on how they are used and why, the manufacturers of those 'things' have all done enough testing that they can give you a very good idea of what's normal for a particular 'device'. Unless you want to do a lot of the 'already-done' te$ting, it's a very good idea to put some faith in what those manufacturers recommend. Those manufacturers will be very happy if you want to do that testing! It just means they are going to $ell you more of their product. (Think about that just for a minute. ALL reputable manufacturers do every kind of testing they can think of on their products. They want return customers, and so give good advice to that effect.)

The biggest 'trick' in all of this is knowing how and why a particular device works as it does. What will affect it, and how. That knowledge is commonly called 'stuff'. And that's why them that got their 'stuff' together do good stuff. Right?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Ok guys and gals i have a Palomar tx 75 mobile amp i looked on cb trix at the PCB lay out and a older cb guru i know says that the Palomar tx 75 and tx 100 are both the same amp and that there is a simpel trick to making a tx 75 into a tx 100 he ( cb guru) says that in tha 70's he did this to a few of them hhuumm is he right or just gitting old and and having CRS LOL :confused: thanks wayne

well after reading whatever it was that Doc said

i guess my TX 100 has more stuff than you're TX 75
although looking at cb trix its the same unit---lol

mine, with 4 +- watts in,puts out around 120 watts
and i dont want to hear anything about lowering my deadkey
amps are made to take what a legal cb puts out.

my 2 cents

Clint

OK DOC i liked you info BUT you could have talked about caps and some abou the pill thinges

and thanks i am glad some one els looked at the pc lay out and got the same thing it looked to me like the only dif in 75 to 100 might be the pills you know change them or the value of a cap or somthing here or there or do you think it all boils dow to how much DK watts you put in it as i am putting 3.5 watts in and seeing 80 watts out that is on a cheap dosey pm-1000 thanks wayne Also i looked at tx 50 and they even give you a chart showing what you can git out of it by how many watts you put in BUT i would not try gitting 75 out of it i know some one ho did LOL amp lasted about 2 hours sounded good to but then up in smoke LOL

cottentail , I have the tx 75 in front of me and your right on the part where the finals are located it just says tx75 or tx 100. Guess all you do is change the finals. I have the same tx 75 and its messig up...? it seems like it stays keyed sown when i talk and release the mike? any suggestions ?Do you know if someone is selling one of these great palomars tx 75 or 100?
thanks and almost forgot
Is This Country Great or What?

Palomar TX 75 ready to go back to work

Hey,

Ebay just ENDED my Palomar TX 75 Auction EARLY, anyone know why?:confused:

It's still for sale>>>>alexhunter57@hotmail.com;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.