1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

POWER SUPPLY HELP

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by dejaskysdad, Jun 13, 2013.

1. dejaskysdad

dejaskysdad Member

I have a transformer that shower 19v ac and when I ran it through a rectifier and a capacitor I now have 26vdc WTF I don't understand I thought when it goes through rectifier I loose a volt or two is the capacitor bringing the voltage up its a 25 v capacitor im confused....... how can I lower the power and keep the amperage?

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

19 volts is the RMS value. AC also has a peak value which is equal to 1.41 times the RMS value (Actually the square root of 2 times the value but I rounded off). The capacitor filters out the raw AC ripple and charges upo to the peak value of the AC voltage. 19 volts X 1.41 = 26.8 volts. This voltage is unregulated meaning it will change depending on how much current you draw. This is the reason power supplies are regulated. You need a voltage regulator circuit and associated circuitry to handle the required current.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Sarcasm

Sarcasm New Member

Is there a good design with high reliability regulator anywhere. All that I have searched have been pretty generic, non specific and or had many complaints for RF application reliability.

4. hammer0630

hammer0630 Active Member

I can't get into the technical aspects of a power supply but I am really disturbed by interference caused by one, depends on how many amps you are interested in but I have had and still have two of the very inexpensive Mega-Watt 30 and 36 amp supplies and they have been faultless with absolutely no noise or hash and are adjustable 9 to 15 watts with a wobbley screw. My old Ashtron big and heavy with small amperage output for it's size is also great with no hum or buzz. I have just purchase a QJE-50 amp switching supply with a adjustable interference knob I have yet to use. I use my ashtron just for my 148GTL only and use a separate power supply for my amp so using two supplies and get 0 noise is pretty good. The QJE 50 I will be replacing the Mega-Watt because my amp needs more amperage than my Mega-Watt can produce.

#4 hammer0630, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  5. linearone

linearone King of NY

typically I use the forumla: sec volts ac x .98 x 1.414

19x.98x1.414=26.328vdc