• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

POWER SUPPLY HELP

dejaskysdad

May 21, 2013
I have a transformer that shower 19v ac and when I ran it through a rectifier and a capacitor I now have 26vdc WTF I don't understand I thought when it goes through rectifier I loose a volt or two is the capacitor bringing the voltage up its a 25 v capacitor im confused....... how can I lower the power and keep the amperage?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
19 volts is the RMS value. AC also has a peak value which is equal to 1.41 times the RMS value (Actually the square root of 2 times the value but I rounded off). The capacitor filters out the raw AC ripple and charges upo to the peak value of the AC voltage. 19 volts X 1.41 = 26.8 volts. This voltage is unregulated meaning it will change depending on how much current you draw. This is the reason power supplies are regulated. You need a voltage regulator circuit and associated circuitry to handle the required current.

pwr_05.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Sarcasm

Aug 28, 2013
Is there a good design with high reliability regulator anywhere. All that I have searched have been pretty generic, non specific and or had many complaints for RF application reliability.

I can't get into the technical aspects of a power supply but I am really disturbed by interference caused by one, depends on how many amps you are interested in but I have had and still have two of the very inexpensive Mega-Watt 30 and 36 amp supplies and they have been faultless with absolutely no noise or hash and are adjustable 9 to 15 watts with a wobbley screw. My old Ashtron big and heavy with small amperage output for it's size is also great with no hum or buzz. I have just purchase a QJE-50 amp switching supply with a adjustable interference knob I have yet to use. I use my ashtron just for my 148GTL only and use a separate power supply for my amp so using two supplies and get 0 noise is pretty good. The QJE 50 I will be replacing the Mega-Watt because my amp needs more amperage than my Mega-Watt can produce.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
  • @ kb9ghn:
    My first thought was the i.r.s. may be interested in a long term money making scam without proper taxes being paid..probably more than electronics involved.
  • @ Toll_Free:
    My first thought was why hasn't someone paid him a visit. I mean, his address is posted above.
  • @ beakster1715:
    Good news! I opened an appeal case after eBay sided with superhawkwss6. I also opened an IC3 case & sent that information to eBay. Within an hour they responded, reversed their decision and returned all of my money. Unfortunately, superhawkwss6 stole my CB radio and eBay will likely not suspend or close his account, but rather allow him to continue his criminal activity. I think I'll still file a report with our sheriff's dept (the sheriff is a friend of mine) though I know this type of crime isn't worth their time. This guy needs to be stopped and I'm certainly going to do my best to make that happen.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good Evening!